Same two pans - different weights
Posted: 18 January 2010 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1174
Joined  2009-11-24

Well not exactly same two pans - I have two Wilton 8 x 2 pans, the label imprinted on the bottom are different.  I am not sure how I acquired two different pans as I would think I purchased them at the same time.  Nonetheless, because they looked different I decided to weigh each.  I think difference was as much as 60 grams. (I will repost as cake is in oven).  This is note to self - when I tare my pans weigh each pan.  And, add the Magic Line to my wish list, I guess.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 January 2010 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

CR, you have brought a very important detail.  i have three 9-inch round pans, all from a very good brand, and each pan weights considerably different!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 19 January 2010 01:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I now realize I should have posted this in Kitchen Chatter… but since my cake is finished.. I found the difference between my two 8” pans is 20 grams and the same or more difference on my 4 9” pans…all same brand.  I wonder will the 20 to 40 grams make much difference when weighing batter?  That is small enough to not matter, I hope.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2010 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

I’m not sure I understand the problem. If you put your cake pan on the scale and tare it, that takes it back to zero. Then add your batter to the required # grams for your recipe. For the Grand Marnier, for example, Rose says to put 400 grams of batter in each of two 6” pans. You’re only measuring the batter, and that’s what you want. Do the same thing with the second pan. Each pan gets the correct amount of batter, the 400 grams, because you start measuring from zero.

Posted: 19 January 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Carolita - 19 January 2010 06:39 AM

I’m not sure I understand the problem. If you put your cake pan on the scale and tare it, that takes it back to zero. Then add your batter to the required # grams for your recipe. For the Grand Marnier, for example, Rose says to put 400 grams of batter in each of two 6” pans. You’re only measuring the batter, and that’s what you want. Do the same thing with the second pan. Each pan gets the correct amount of batter, the 400 grams, because you start measuring from zero.

Yes, Carolita, that is what I will do now.  But what I had done was tare on one pan and then go back and forth dividing the batter between two pans.  I was measuring from zero on one pan.  No big problem to change…just interesting that the pans are that variant in weight.  I have some recipes for which I did not have the expected batter weight so I was trying to divide evenly between the two.  No big deal now.

Signature 

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Or, if you have two scales….

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

I completely understand pan issues.  I replaced all my wilton pans except for the heart pans because the ‘same size’ pans would stack inside each other!  There is almost a 1/2” difference between some of them.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 19 January 2010 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

oh yes, duh…sorry. I so rarely bake from any other recipes. And even when Rose doesn’t give the exact # grams/pan, I know from past experience with her cakes of the same type roughly how high it should come in the pan. Can totally empathize with the dilemma using other recipes.

One trick I use for those “divide the batter equally” recipes is to weigh the batter in my mixing bowl. The weight of my bowl is written in permanent ink on masking tape, taped to the bottom, so I can subtract that amount from the total. Then divide that # by the number of pans.

Posted: 19 January 2010 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Yes, and Carol, the nice thing about the KD series of scales is that they register negative weights.  So if you calculate the weight of the batter and divide by 2, then zero out the bowl plus batter, and fill the first pan until you have the negative weight of dough for one pan.  Then you can pour the remaining batter into the second pan. 

But, Carol, how many people are as organized as you and KNOW the weight of the bowls??? Not me!!!!

Posted: 19 January 2010 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Well Linda, I had not thought of that!!! Good point..  I guess I will be replacing the Wilton pans sooner than I thought. 

Two scales?  Oh boy.

Carolita, That is a good idea—I was thinking today that I would weigh the bowl.  Now I will weigh them once and mark them!

Now I am off to measure my pans..

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Just thought I’d add to the comments - I have to identical Kitchen Aid stand mixer bowls for each of my mixers.  Not one of them weighs the same amount as another.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2010 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I have a little engraver device I bought some 30 years ago when I was sharing houses/apartments (and cooking equipment) with lots of other folks. I used it to put my initials on items I particularly did not want to lose track of. Now I have used it to engrave the weight on the bottom of all my metal bowls. Very handy!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 21 January 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Barbara, what a great idea!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe