eggology egg whites
Posted: 30 January 2008 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-01-20

Hi,

Has anyone ever used eggology egg whites, in place of fresh egg whites, for angel or chiffon cakes?  If so, I’m interested in knowing how they perform (i.e. how do they whip up re: getting to the stiff peak stage, do the cakes rise to their full height when baked)?  I get tired of cracking open so many eggs to get to the whites. 

Thanks for your feedback!

Posted: 04 February 2008 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-03

I’ve not tried this, but it sounds interesting.  The only thing that makes me hesitate would be if any preservatives or other additives are part of these whites…other than that, I would suggest giving it a whirl!  Modern conveniences are so nice!

Posted: 11 February 2008 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-02-10

I tried the pasturized eggs yesterday for an angel food cake.  It tastes good but it did not aquire the loft I expected.  I beat the whites for at lease 10 minutes in my stand mixer.  I was so surprised they did not perform better.  So, unless someone has a differeent method, it is back to cracking eggs again.

Posted: 11 February 2008 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thanks, pastryprince1 and JDS for your replies.  I checked the label on Eggology at Whole Foods and there doesn’t seem to be any additives or preservatives in the whites that could affect their performance.  I could try it and see how things come out.  After reading JDS’s reply, however, I’m a little less eager to try this product and more inclined to crack eggs.  I’ll see how ambitious I’m feeling when I get around to making my next angel cake!  I appreciate your feedback.

Posted: 12 February 2008 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-02-12

I’ve used Eggology egg whites for baking for a couple of years now and have had no problem whipping it up or using it any other way. I just love that they have a long shelf life so I don’t have to worry about having it go bad on me before it’s all gone. They offer free jar openers too if you call the number on the bottle and their customer service is really nice and friendly, so I’m sure if you have a problem you can call them and they will help you. They even have a bunch of recipes on their web site!!

Posted: 13 February 2008 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

CookieMonster, I’m now more inclined to try Eggology after reading your post.  It was good hearing that you’ve had success with this product.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I really appreciate your comments!

Posted: 07 March 2008 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-12
cakeluvr - 13 February 2008 04:02 PM

CookieMonster, I’m now more inclined to try Eggology after reading your post.  It was good hearing that you’ve had success with this product.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I really appreciate your comments!

You are very welcome!!

Posted: 08 March 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2007-11-28

I wish I remembered the brand I used, but I have been using cartoned egg whites for mousseline buttercream with very good results.  I got them at Harris Teeter.  They do have an odd greenish color out of the carton, but no smell and they whip up perfectly white.

Signature 

It’s all about the food.

My Facebook Profile or follow @Cookin_n_Cussin on Twitter

Posted: 11 March 2008 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-11

I’ve done some research on egg whites and learned that the Eggology brand mentioned is the only one that is both fresh and tested for salmonella.  I’ve used Eggology for years with stellar results for baking, but also for whipping and egg-wash on pastrie.  I used to get them at the store, but now order from their website http://www.eggology.com and have it delivered to my home.

Posted: 11 March 2008 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you, Bakemeister.  This is good to know.

Posted: 11 August 2008 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-11

I LOVE Eggology egg whites.  I have worked as a professional pastry chef for over 10 years at 5 star hotels and restaurants.  When you are baking HUGE wedding cakes and making giant batches of frosting, it makes sense to use a product, like the eggology egg whites, to save time-but you also get top quality with these without compromising flavor or freshness!  They don’t have a funny taste, they can be frozen if you don’t use the whole package right away and you avoid having issues such as yolk in your egg whites (which will cause your meringues or frostings to break) or worse-the dreaded egg shell that someone bites into-which ruins the cake you have worked so hard to perfect! 

I haven’t experienced any loss in ability to whip these to beautiful glossy peaks.

I was introduced to Eggology at work, but they are awesome for the home cook or baker as well.  It makes it soo easy to put together meringues, macaroons, buttercreams or cakes.  I love them!

Try their banana bread recipe!  My son goes crazy when he sees me making this-it’s so yummy!  http://www.eggology.com/Public/Recipes/Dessert/index.cfm

Posted: 11 August 2008 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Thank you Propastrygal for your reply.  It’s been some time since I’ve baked an angel food cake.  The last one I baked was in the spring.  I cracked eggs and my whites lofted well, but not well enough to yield the results I was hoping for.  My cake rose only 3 inches.  It tasted very good, but it didn’t have “the look” of picture perfect angel cake.  I think I must be underwhipping the whiltes because I’m afraid of overwhipping; my recipes tell me that this can happen in the blink of an eye.

I was most impressed, given that you’re an experienced pastry chef, with your endorsement of Eggology pasteurized egg whites, so I will try this product next angel cake.  Others who have posted also have had success with Eggology, so that’s good to know, too.  I didn’t realize that the unused portion could be frozen.  That’s certainly a plus!  Is there some surefire way to know that eggwhites are beaten to the stiff peak but glossy stage?  I think this is where I’ve gone wrong in the past.

Thank you again for your feedback.  I do appreciate it!

Posted: 11 August 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-11

You do need to watch your egg whites as they will go from under whipped to over whipped very quickly.  Make sure you are starting with a CLEAN bowl, copper is best and you can chill the bowl a bit to get more loft as well.  Once your egg whites start to get to the soft peak stage, keep your hand on the OFF button!  Egg whites get a very glossy gleam on them and they start to form peaks that will fold over slightly or not at all if you take the back of a spoon and gently place it onto the egg whites, then raise it up slowly.  If your peaks don’t hold their shape, continue whipping.  If your whites start to look dry you have gone too far! 

Once you have whipped your egg whites perfectly ONCE, you will never over whip again!  It is such a beautiful, glossy, creamy white when it is perfectly whipped that you will always know what to look for once you have done it.  Cut yourself some slack…baking takes practice, practice and more practice-it isn’t like cooking (which allows for you to make slight adjustments until you meet that perfect flavor or consistency).  Baking is a science and requires precision in measuring, timing and execution.  But the reward for your patience and perseverance is soooo worth it!

Posted: 11 August 2008 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-01-20

Propastrygal, I’m going to write down your great advice and keep it with my angel cake recipes.  I’ll keep practicing.  Eventually, I’ll get things right.  Thanks so much for your help!