1 of 2
Almond Coffee Caramel Genoise
Posted: 20 January 2010 01:00 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4742
Joined  2008-04-16

I needed to make a cake to take to a dinner party, and due to the various people attending it needed to be European in style, coffee flavored but not too strongly so, and without any chocolate.  So this is what I came up with.
It’s (sort of) from RHC.  The genoise and chiboust pastry cream are from the Gateau St Honore Trifle, with different flavorings and presentation.  It was delicious, six of the eight people at dinner had seconds (including me). 

The classic genoise is syruped with toasted almonds and Amaretto.  I added 15g of chopped toasted almonds to the sugar and water before boiling, then allowed that to sit for a few hours.  When ready to use, I strained out the almonds and added the Amaretto.  Very nice.  I’ve used this syrup before and it’s one of my favorites.

The frosting and filling (the cake was split into two layers) is Chiboust pastry cream, made with caramelized sugar, coffee and vanilla.  I took the balance of flavors from the coffee-caramel silk meringue buttercream in the Cake Bible.  This is similar, but the custard is blended with whipped cream instead of butter.  For the liqueur, I used Amaretto.

The cross hatching is a half recipe of the caramel glaze from the RHC Pumpkin Cheesecake, with a little instant coffee dissolved in the hot cream. 

When I make this again, I think I’ll try a different presentation, but not sure what.  The Chiboust isn’t that pretty on its own- beige and with lots of little specks from the vanilla, it needs help.  But the crosshatching somehow isn’t as elegant as I would like.  Any suggestions?

Image Attachments
almond coffee caramel genoise.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

OH my gosh, Julie,
I want to bake like you when I grow up!
WOWEE

Shokat

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

I think it is very pretty as is, I can’t really think how it could be better!

Posted: 20 January 2010 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Julie, that is so beautiful!  I’m not surprised most everybody had seconds. You are quite the perfectionist - I can identify! That’s how we learn, right? By seeing what we’d do differently next time.

No suggestions right now on the pastry cream filling. Dashing out, but will give it some thought. One quick idea re: the cross-hatching. My baking instructor loved working with piping jel so much, that’s all he ever used! He did some very elegant writing and other work with it. Available to the industry in all different colours, including clear that can be coloured/flavoured but carefully so as not to upset the way it flows so beautifully. I just googled it, and looks like it can be made easily at home. The thickener is corn starch, not gelatin. Piping jel aka gel aka jelly.

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Oh my goodness - I can’t imagine it looking any better.  Really - it’s perfect!

Fabulous job!!!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  764
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, I think ALL your cakes are splendid, this one is especially so!  I love it as it is.

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Julie,
Your cake is beautiful and I think the design works. I love the cross hatching. I don’t think the beige color is off-putting but I understand what you mean about the specks. When I first made an almond-mocha version of SMB, I was not pleased with the vanilla specs. The next time I used quality vanilla extract instead. The flavor is still great but the bc looks more pleasing without the dark specks of vanilla.

Posted: 20 January 2010 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a friend who doesn’t like to see specs of vanilla bean seeds in her cake, frosting, and ice cream, but I love it.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

This cake is Beautiful.  DON’T CHANGE IT!  Really beautiful.

Posted: 20 January 2010 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

This cake sounds incredibly scrumptious, and it looks gorgeous. I want to try making it. Thank you for sharing your technique.

Personally, I like seeing specks of vanilla. It’s a signal that the dessert is going to be bursting with yummy vanilla flavor.

Posted: 20 January 2010 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thank you all so much for the kind words!  The cake was incredibly delicious, the flavors all worked so well together.  I’m glad you like the cross hatching.

Signature 

Posted: 20 January 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

The cake sounds super delicious Julie! No wonder most of the people at dinner had seconds. I think the cake is already beautiful the way you made it. Personally I like seeing the vanilla but I can understand how it would mar a flawless cream topping/frosting. You can just strain the vanilla seeds out I think, if you don’t want them next time. The almond arrangement you did on the side is gorgeous.

Posted: 21 January 2010 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Julie,  I’m with all the others - please don’t change a thing!  It looks perfect to me and in GOOD TASTE (in both senses of the phrase).

Posted: 21 January 2010 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thanks, Annie and Shimi, you’re both very kind.

Signature 

Posted: 01 July 2010 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, Jenn brought this cake to my attention, and i shall say:  it is perfect as is.  i wouldn’t change the presentation a bit!  maybe also take a picture of the sliced cake, to see how it presents when sliced.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 01 July 2010 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Hi Julie,
Simply beautiful! You must have the patience of Jobe. The results were truly worth the time, effort, and let’s not forget skill to make such a wonderful creation.

1 of 2