my chocolate cake falls
Posted: 20 January 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-12-03

my chocolate cake falls 15-20 mins. before I take it out of the oven. It is a very liquidy batter containing coffee and buttermilk. the baking powder is 1 teaspoon and the baking soda us 2 teaspoons. I’ve been making this cake for years and it falls no matter how long I leave it in the oven.  Ginny

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hmmm - if the recipe is a tried and true one that you’ve been using for years, what changes have occurred since the last time you made this cake successfully?  Different baking powder or baking soda?  Different oven?  Different kind of flour?  Different brand of buttermilk?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 20 January 2010 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1149
Joined  2009-11-24

Has it always fallen in the years that you have been baking it?  I have a choc cake that used to fall each time I baked it..  turned out my oven temp was too low (despite what the recipe said).

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 20 January 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-03

THis cake has always fallen, here is the recipe.  oven 350
                                            flour 2 c.
                                          sugar 2 c.
                                          cocoa 1/2 c.
                                          baking soda 2 t.
                                          baking powder 1 t.
                                            salt 1/2 t.
                                          oil 1 c.
                                            buttermilk 1 c.
                                            eggs 2
                                          hot coffee 1 c.
                                  mix and put in 2   8 in. cake pans
                                    bake 35 mins.              Ginny

Posted: 20 January 2010 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
glfitzsimmons - 20 January 2010 08:28 PM

THis cake has always fallen, here is the recipe.  oven 350
                                            flour 2 c.
                                          sugar 2 c.
                                          cocoa 1/2 c.
                                          baking soda 2 t.
                                          baking powder 1 t.
                                            salt 1/2 t.
                                          oil 1 c.
                                            buttermilk 1 c.
                                            eggs 2
                                          hot coffee 1 c.
                                  mix and put in 2   8 in. cake pans
                                    bake 35 mins.              Ginny

what kind of flour are you using and cocoa does the recipe call for—dutch processed or natural? I used to made a cake with a similar recipe to this one before I discovered Rose’s chocolate cakes. There seems to be a lot of acid in the recipe and there is also a lot of sugar and oil which will make this cake super tender. However, there doesn’t seems to be enough structure. I’ve seen chocolate cake recipe with a lot more flour, cocoa and coffee (acidic) with that call for less leavening. Maybe the amount of baking soda and baking powder should be reduced to provide more structure in the cake. You could try fiddling with the amounts. Rose suggests lessing the baking powder by 1/4 tsp or you can try lessening the baking soda by 1/16 tsp. Keep lessening until you get the results you want. Or you can try Rose’s chocolate cake which come out perfect each time. smile

Hopefully others will chime in

Posted: 20 January 2010 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I make a cake called Hershey’s perfectly chocolate chocolate cake. This is one of the first cakes I baked as a teenager many many years ago. It works every time and it looks like your cake is a variation of it. This recipe uses less oil,milk instead of buttermilk and boiling water which you add after all the other ingredients are mixed together and it is baked in 2 9” pans. Here it is

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup Hershey’s cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup boiling water

Method
Preheat oven to 350 F
Grease and line with parchment 2 9” round cake pans.
Sift together dry ingredients into a large bowl
Mix together -eggs, oil, milk and vanilla
Add to dry ingredients and mix for 2 min on medium speed
Stir in boiling water- batter will be thin
Pour into the baking pans
Bake 30 -35 minutes until tester comes out clean
Cool in pan 10 minutes
Remove to rack, cool and frost

You could add hot coffee instead of water to get a similar flavor to your cake. My kids really like this cake.

Posted: 20 January 2010 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

My guess would be too much leavening—I’d try reducing the baking soda. Maybe make small batches—a quarter batch in one 6-inch cake pan?—until you get something you like. Or, go for a different recipe!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 21 January 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-03
Bungalow Barbara - 21 January 2010 01:47 AM

My guess would be too much leavening—I’d try reducing the baking soda. Maybe make small batches—a quarter batch in one 6-inch cake pan?—until you get something you like. Or, go for a different recipe!

Barbara, now that your telling me that, It does seem like it does O.K. in a 6 in. pan. But any bigger and it falls every time.

Posted: 21 January 2010 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

If your cake is okay in a 6 in pan and falls in a bigger pan, then this confirms that there is not enough structure for the larger pans. This means you have too much leavening in your recipe. Try decreasing the leavening a little. Baking soda is needed to neutralize the acidity so you don’t want to decrease it too much. You could try decreasing both the baking soda by 1/16- 1/8 ts and the baking powder by 1/8 - 1/4 ts. Try a little at a time until it comes out the way you desire.

Posted: 21 January 2010 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

My opinion is that the baking soda and baking powder are switched. I?ve never seen a chocolate cake recipe that called for twice as much baking soda as baking powder. I would change the leavening to 2 tsp of baking powder and just 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Or you can even leave the baking soda out if you want a little tanginess in your chocolate cake (which I happen to like).

Also, since it?s a very liquid batter, adding an extra egg might be a good idea.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 21 January 2010 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

The cakes you are referring to are probably using dutch coaco. Actually there are quite a few chocolate cake recipes that use a higher amount of baking soda and a smaller amount of baking powder when the batter is acidic. That is why earlier I asked what kind of cocoa you are using. If you are using hershey’s or a non alkalized one, then you do need the higher amount of baking soda to neutralize the cocoa. I suspect this recipe probably originally called for non alkalized cocoa like hershey’s however, the clarification got dropped off. If you’ve been making this cake with dutch processed cocoa, that would explain why there is too much leavening. 2 ts bs would be too much for a chocolate cake using dutch cocoa. However, if you use non-dutch processed, then 1 1/2 -2 ts is about right for this recipe. For your recipe I would try using 1 3/4 ts bs. plus 3/4 ts bp and non-dutch cocoa.

If you want to use dutch cocoa and switch the bp and bs quantities. I would start off with 1 1/2 ts bp and 2/3 ts bs.

Posted: 22 January 2010 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I found a recipe on the Hershey website called Black Magic Cake . It is almost exactly the same as your recipe and uses regular cocoa and not dutch process.
Here is the recipe.

* 2 cups sugar
  * 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  * 3/4 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
  * 2 teaspoons baking soda
  * 1 teaspoon baking powder
  * 1 teaspoon salt
  * 2 eggs
  * 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
  * 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
  * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350?F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes (Batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.

3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost as desired. Yields 10 to 12 servings.

* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.

Posted: 22 January 2010 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-12-03

Thanks to everyone’s help I’ll try your suggestions this weekend.