2 of 2
Scales
Posted: 26 November 2009 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Barbara - How accurate is your Soehnle. I could not find a Bosch - they were out of stock - so have ordered a Soehnle. Which model did you buy?

Posted: 18 April 2010 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

For those of you with the My Weigh 8000, does it do Fluid. oz and liquid measurements as well? I am having trouble getting good descriptions from the sales websites! Thank you

tongue wink

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 19 April 2010 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I have the MyWeigh, and I really like it. Traded to it a little over a year ago from a scale I had had for many years. It does everything I could want for baking. Not sure about your question as fluid ounces are a unit of volume, not weight.

Posted: 19 April 2010 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

I know, it sounds strange that a scale could do fluid ounces, but the one I just bought can do just that. It is a terraillon sub, and has a “liquid conversion function that measures in both fl oz and ml”, as read from it’s box. I can’t figure out how it could possibly do that, as liquids weigh different amounts per their density, right? Who knows! I am this close to taking this one back, and ordering the My Weigh 8000. Soo tempting and the same price as this one!

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I have to say I think that is a bogus claim unless you can tell the scale what liquid you are measuring or it has some sort of “eye” to “see” the correct volume smile Maybe someone else has more information on this.

Posted: 19 April 2010 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

Matthew, cringe as I may, I must agree with you. The logic is just too obvious, 8fl oz of heavy cream would most certainly weigh a different amount than 8 fl oz of water. I haven’t turned the scale on yet (still in box in case I want to return it) but the only other way I can think of it being able to do that is if it asked for the type of liquid. But still, that is ridiculous! I will do more research on it, too. We’ll see what we come up with. Regardless, I just ordered the My Weigh 8000! Yay!

Here is a link to the sales page on the other scale, the one in question…I am seeing other scales now with the same liquid conversion feature too. Baffling.

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2010 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Another great, affordable scale is the Eatsmart Precision ProDigital kitchen scale.  I tried it because Michael Ruhlman recommends it on his site…was happy to see it was only $25 and ordered it right away.  It works like a charm and has oz, grams, etc. and tare feature, which is pretty much all I need.  It’s also on Amazon and has very positive reviews.

Posted: 30 April 2010 06:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I have a scale from IKEA, dirt cheap, switches between grams and oz, and I just cross checked it against some cheese I bought and found it to be accurate to a better than a gram per 100 g.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 April 2010 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  775
Joined  2007-11-15

Silke , we seem to be on the same wavelength!  I, too, have a really cheap digital scale that I bought from LIDL , a German supermarket store in the UK, and I can’t fault it!  I have had it for a few years now and apart from replacing the batteries just once I rely on it and use it regularly with no complaints.  If I have to replace it I would still have had my moneysworth from it.

Posted: 30 April 2010 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

LOL - haven’t heard of LIDL in a long time! So I went back and looked at what I think was cheap - ok, it wasn’t dirt cheap but close enough: $25, weighs up to 6 lb 10 oz which is more than what the $50 Soehnle scales can take. And looks nice and sleek…
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20018198

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 30 April 2010 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-11

SO I got my MyWeigh 8000 in the mail from Amazon…it works nicely but I am such a quality critic! I really am OCD with regards to getting unblemished products, textures, edges etc. I know, I know! So it arrived, but the clear face protector thingy got scratched up during shipment. Booh! It is a little bit rough around the edges, but if it is anywhere as great as a few of you say it is in action, it can stay I suppose confused I wish it had come with it’s ac adapter, too. I am wondering how much one has to spend to get a product that just makes sense! I love it’s backlight though, very cute. I also love that it doesn’t shut off on me in the middle of measuring a tared bowl of stuff!

Signature 

Posted: 20 May 2010 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21
Jemoiselle - 30 April 2010 11:07 PM

SO I got my MyWeigh 8000 in the mail from Amazon…it works nicely but I am such a quality critic! I really am OCD with regards to getting unblemished products, textures, edges etc. I know, I know! So it arrived, but the clear face protector thingy got scratched up during shipment. Booh! It is a little bit rough around the edges, but if it is anywhere as great as a few of you say it is in action, it can stay I suppose confused I wish it had come with it’s ac adapter, too. I am wondering how much one has to spend to get a product that just makes sense! I love it’s backlight though, very cute. I also love that it doesn’t shut off on me in the middle of measuring a tared bowl of stuff!

tongue rolleye I wish I could fault someone other than my own self for the marks and scratches and scuffs all over my poor MyWeigh7000. The poor thing just happily labors on without complaining, and I love it’s great performance.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 May 2010 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I took the protector off as soon as I got it as I knew it would just get in the way. I think it is designed for people using the scale for non-cooking purpose—caustic substances, etc.

Posted: 25 May 2010 10:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1363
Joined  2008-09-27

If you have a digital scale and want to ensure its long-term reliability, you really need a calibration weight.  Most scales should have a calibration feature and a particular weight at which it’s calibrated.  Both of my scales use 100 grams as the calibration weight, so I bought a standard 100 g calibration weight.  You can google on these, but they’re pretty cheap if you don’t buy one that carries with it some certification that ensures that it’s legal for commerce.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 May 2010 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

After confirming accuracy against a product, I wrote the weight of each of my mixing bowls on their bottoms (!) with a Sharpee marker.  That way, if the battery (and accuracy) begin to fail, I’ll know, as I can always check a bowl! 

I feel SOOOOO Hints from Heloise!

2 of 2