Fondant and German Chocolate/Deep Passion Cake Base
Posted: 21 January 2010 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi.  I am mostly new to working with fondant and my cousin asked me to do her wedding cake—and given the style of cake they want, I agree that fondant is the best choice for the “exterior.”  However, I was wondering what thoughts people have about pairing it with the German Chocolate/Deep Passion cake base from RHC.  I love that cake base—but am not sure if it is sturdy enough for (white) fondant.  I think the contrast will be stunning, btw.

Also, has anyone tried this cake in a rectangular cake pan?  They only want a 1 tier wedding cake even though the wedding will have about 250-300 people.  I will do all of the other cake as a sheet cake—but thought if someone has done the experimentation for me, then I wouldn’t have to do so many test cakes to get it right.  If all else fails I can do a bunch of 12” rounds, but honestly, the sheet cakes are much easier to serve/transport/etc.

Posted: 21 January 2010 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  164
Joined  2009-04-24

Sherrie, I haven’t tried the Deep Passion Chocolate yet.  However, I have used the same technique of soaking with ganache on the All American Chocolate Butter cake from TCB.  I was able to use fondant on that.  So if you don’t find out if Deep Passion from RHC is sturdy enough and you’re worried about it, that may be an option.

Jess

Posted: 21 January 2010 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Good to know!  I will definitely do a test with it—but I would rather find out in advance if it’s a bad idea smile  Rose uses fondant on genoise in TCB, so I think it should hold it’s own…I consider the German Chocolate Cake base to have a texture between a sponge and butter cake, so I think it would be fine.

Posted: 22 January 2010 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

U may want to use a high cacao percent milk chocolate for the milk ganache syrup about 40 to 42 percent, or as indicated when using lower do use half milk and half dark.  This chocolate syrup gives strengh to the cake as the chocolate sets.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 March 2013 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2011-05-15

sorry to strike this post up again but i have a cake to do tomorow and i was leaning towards the german chocolate cake base as well ( love it! ) Did u end up fondanting it sherrie? OR should i go safe with the butter cake..