Baker’s Special
Posted: 24 January 2010 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1370
Joined  2008-09-27

Anyone know where to buy large bags of Baker’s Special sugar?  When Googling, I see that King Arthur’s has small bags.  One other company has a 50 lb bag, but the page isn’t found when I click “buy”.  Surely there are lots of food service type companies supplying this?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 January 2010 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  637
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi Charles,
I found this site selling 10 lb bags for what seems like a lot of money.
http://www.sugarindia.com/baker.htm

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 25 January 2010 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s a link for India Tree Golden Baker’s sugar: 
http://www.lacuisineus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1012

I’ve used this stuff, it is divine.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 25 January 2010 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 25 January 2010 06:47 AM

Hi Charles,
I found this site selling 10 lb bags for what seems like a lot of money.
http://www.sugarindia.com/baker.htm

Yes, I had stumbled on that one, too.  $75 for 10 lbs?  Even from King Arthur’s, 10 lbs would be under $20.  I can’t believe anyone is paying $75.

Thank you.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 January 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 25 January 2010 10:48 AM

Here’s a link for India Tree Golden Baker’s sugar:.

That’s still 3-4 times the price of King Arthur’s.  And I’d need white sugar.  Rose said she bought hers in 100 lb bags, but I don’t need such a large bag; 50 lbs would be enough.

King Arthur’s is still be best option, but having to go through so many 3 lb bags psychologically seems so wasteful.  Sugar is a commodity and I’d rather have a commodity-sized bag, so that I can use it without feeling guilty.  wink

Thank you!

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 25 January 2010 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

C & H definitely sells a 50 lb bag of superfine sugar, but it might take some searching to find a retailer (as opposed to a restaurant supplier).

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 25 January 2010 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

I came across this site a while back. They have 50lb bakers sugar for $56

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/browseproducts/Bakers-Special-Sugar-50-LB.html

Sorry, just realized this is the site with the broken link / unfound page

Posted: 28 January 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2010-01-20

Hi Charles

I buy 50 lb. bags of C&H baker’s special cane sugar frequently. They used to be available at the local restaurant supply (Cash and Carry), but now they only sell fine beet sugar. They vary locally,so it is worth a try. Yours may be able to order you some. If that fails, ask a local bakery who their supplier is, and contact them directly. Some bakeries may let you order with them, because most suppliers have minimums. Good luck!

Posted: 30 January 2010 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Jeri - 28 January 2010 06:16 PM

Hi Charles

I buy 50 lb. bags of C&H baker’s special cane sugar frequently. They used to be available at the local restaurant supply (Cash and Carry), but now they only sell fine beet sugar. They vary locally,so it is worth a try. Yours may be able to order you some. If that fails, ask a local bakery who their supplier is, and contact them directly. Some bakeries may let you order with them, because most suppliers have minimums. Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas, Jeri.  C&H tells me that the local Sysco buys it from them, but Sysco won’t sell to non-institutional people.  I’ll try some restaurant supply stores.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 31 January 2010 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2007-11-27

CharlesT if you are local to the greater Boston area, let me know. I can order a bag (I use fruit fine sugar) for you and you can pick it up at our kitchen.  I’ve been paying about $28 for a 50 pound bag of fruit fine sugar.

If you are not close by, another option is to ask a local restaurant or bakery if they will sell you a bag.  You would want to pick it up the same day it is delivered to them (so they do not have to store it or use your bag inadvertently because it was not put away).

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 31 January 2010 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

At those prices, why not just make you?re own as you need it? It?s nothing more than finely ground sugar. I just throw regular cane sugar in either my Vita-Mix or food processor and give it a whirl for a few seconds. I always thought C&H?s Baker?s Special Sugar was such a rip off.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 31 January 2010 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Jeanne - 31 January 2010 12:45 PM

CharlesT if you are local to the greater Boston area, let me know. I can order a bag (I use fruit fine sugar) for you and you can pick it up at our kitchen.  I’ve been paying about $28 for a 50 pound bag of fruit fine sugar.

Thank you Jeanne, that is an extraordinarily kind offer!  Unfortunately, you are 1,133.71 miles away from me. :-(

If you are not close by, another option is to ask a local restaurant or bakery if they will sell you a bag.  You would want to pick it up the same day it is delivered to them (so they do not have to store it or use your bag inadvertently because it was not put away).

Thanks for the insight about the potential inconvenience to someone who ordered it for me; those downsides for them would never have occurred to me.  I will explore those ideas…..this is becoming a matter of principle for me.  grin

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 31 January 2010 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Roxanne - 31 January 2010 06:49 PM

why not just make you?re own as you need it?

Dirtying up another kitchen device, for one.  And the extra step is a bit tedious.  If I could just dump the sugar from a container, I’d be more likely to use it for a better product than to skip it.  To me $28 per 50 lb bag sounds cheap; even $50 doesn’t sound bad.  Even though I buy sugar all the time, I don’t have any idea how much it costs.  Let me check….Let’s see, Amazon sells a 5 lb bag for $4, so 50 lbs would be $40.  The extra $10 for the Baker’s special will keep me from having to wash my food processor 100 times, so it seems like a good investment.  grin

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 31 January 2010 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

I process 5 lbs of sugar in one sitting and just keep it in a canister. My processor will process about 1.5 pounds of sugar at once, do it 3-4 or four times and I?m done, and it?ll last me about a month. Also no need to wash your processor when your finished; a quick rinse is all that?s needed. Sometimes I just wipe it out with a dry or damp cloth. It?s just sugar, after all.

That extra 10 dollars is an extra ten dollars I could be using on good chocolate, good butter, or putting it in my savings account, rather than spending it on a process I can easily and efficiently do at home. Also, who has room for a 50 lb. bag of sugar? Those are HUGE and HEAVY. Also, if you don?t do enough baking to use that amount of sugar within 60 days, it will start to absorb moisture, and then the ants and flies will find their way into it (no matter how tightly you seal it, they will find a way in).

Just things to think about…

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 February 2010 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

I also process my own superfine sugar regularly, and just wanted to add a couple of thoughts for those who do:

First, if you are processing sugar that is coarser than regular granulated, you need to strain it and re-process the larger pieces left in the strainer.  I often process turbinado or demerara that is sold in large crystals, and many large pieces are left in the sugar even thought it looks superfine.

Second, if you are processing larger quantities and storing them (which is what I do), be very careful about the container as sugar absorbs odors very readily.  I stored 4 lbs of superfine sugar in a glass container with a small band of plastic where the lid met the container, and that litttle bit of plastic had aquired a detergent smell from the dishwasher.  The whole batch developed a strong detergent smell and taste, I had to throw it away…

Signature