How will using 9 x 2” pans affect the result of White Velvet Butter Cake, which calls for 9 x 1.5”?
Posted: 24 January 2010 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-10-20

Hi There,

Am just about to bake this cake but am afraid now that I realise my pans are 9 x 2” deep, and Rose calls for 1 1/2”. Do I have to run to the Cake Supply store?

Thank you in advance!

Stephanie
(Joan’s daughter - she made me post smile

Posted: 24 January 2010 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Stephanie,

If you look on page 47 of the Cake Bible at the right hand side of the page,  Rose states ” If you only have 2 inch high pans, either do 2/3 the recipe for 1 2” layer or 1 1/3 of the recipe for 2 2” layers.  So go ahead and use your 2 inch pans.  You do not need to go out and buy new ones unless you really want to.

Posted: 24 January 2010 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-20

Thank you for your quick response! I have on older book that doesn’t show that :( Looks like I need to get the most recent edition!

I really don’t need the layers to be deeper as I am baking 3, should i just go for it with recipe as written or adjust for deeper layers & best result?

Thank you so much!

Posted: 24 January 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Someone here reported a while back using the 2” pans in spite of Rose’s recommendation and didn’t have any problems.  (Probably wasn’t specific to this recipe, though.)

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 January 2010 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

If you want to make 3 x 9” round x2” high, the instructions are in the back of The Cake Bible. The white base cake p 491 is the very same cake as the White Velvet in the front of the book. The base is equivalent to one 6"x2” pan. To get a single 9"x2”, you multiply the base ingredient amounts by 4. How do I know that? By looking at the chart on p 490. But the baking powder amounts are in a separate chart p. 492. Take a look. You’ll see that 9-10” cakes need 6.52 grams per base. A 9” cake is 4x base, so multiply 6.52 by 4 = 26 grams baking powder. (Or if you prefer, figure it out in tsp or ounces.)

Believe it or not, this is lots easier to do than multiplying the recipe at the beginning of the book by 1.33, and then trying to figure out the baking powder by guess and by golly! Especially where you want three 9” rounds and not just two. Do the calculations. You’ll be so proud of yourself, and you’ll grow in faith that you can make any size cake you want any time.

The choc base cake is the same as the Perfect All American Choc Cake (not torte!), and the yellow base cake is the same as the All Occasion Downy Yellow. So there you go! You now have enough info to open a bakery. More than one person has done just that! smile

Posted: 24 January 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-20

Hi Carolita,

THANK you so much! OH mi gosh, I am always so amazed at those who have the patience and brain for these calculations! I was just telling Patrincia that I usually stay clear of that page/section in the book because I get so overwhelmed with it all, lol! I did the 1st 2 layers without altering the recipe and was very pleased that they came out pretty perfect (so it appears, prior to the cut and taste test!) And the result was what Rose predicted, a smidge higher than 1 1/8”, which was my primary concern in using the 1/2’ deeper-than-called-for pan.

You are all so wonderful. I read the forums voraciously but rarely post. Am delighted with all the helpful and supportive responses, thank you!

Cheers!

Stephanie