Substitute for Almond Flour
Posted: 27 January 2010 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-27

I would love to bake a traditional French-style Macaroons but I am allergic to nuts.  Is there any viable substitute for the almond flour that would produce the same level of quality for this style of cookie?  I have looked high and low to no avail.  I know that almond flour is high in fat so could I just use regular flour and add butter?  Anyone have a viable option?  Thanks!!

Posted: 27 January 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

That’s a tough one- regular flour would significantly change the texture of the meringue, because of its ability to form gluten. 

I don’t know if this will work to your liking, but if you were determined to experiment with the flour/butter substitution, you could try rubbing the butter into the flour to coat the particles and reduce its ability to form gluten.  Rose’s excellent pie crust recipe does this, as does S. Yard’s croissant recipe.  I have not tried it myself. 

Another thought is to substitute cocoa powder, though to do that for all of the nuts might not work, taste-wise.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I wonder if perhaps something like graham cracker crumbs, animal cracker crumbs, matzoh meal, finely ground panko or bread crumbs would work?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 27 January 2010 10:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

in my opinion, there isn’t such thing as a french macaroon w/o the almond flour!  r u allergic to all types of nuts?  perhaps you can use mac nuts instead of almonds.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 28 January 2010 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Are you allergic to coconuts? I’ve seen coconut flour at Whole Foods.

Posted: 29 January 2010 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

I think if I were you, I’d just make meringues.  I believe that by definition macaron are a combination of egg whites, ground almonds and sugar with optional flavourings.

Posted: 31 January 2010 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

You could try using Bob?s Red Mill Gluten-free all-purpose baking mix. I don?t recall it having nuts in it. It?s a mixture of legumes and vegetable-derived stabilizers. I would try subbing this for an equal amount by weight of ground almonds, adding additional almond extract (if you can use almond extract, if not, try armaretto liquor).

I agree with Hector, though, it?s not a French macaroon without almonds.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 June 2010 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-06-01

Hi, you might want to try looking up at http://www.mytartelette.com.
Helene has tried using other types of ground nuts in place of ground almonds.

Posted: 02 June 2010 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

How about peanuts?  I’ll bet folks would love those!!!  (The woman next to me is also allergic to nuts, but she can have peanuts, so I’m only guessing that can eat them, too.)  I think they’d taste like a fancy honey-roasted peanut.

Yum!

Posted: 05 October 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2010-05-19

You can use pistachio flour