Quick Question about Breads
Posted: 27 January 2010 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  913
Joined  2009-01-04

I got a bread book for xmas (no it wasn’t the bread bible, i had no choice it was a gift!), it is called something like “Artisan bread 5 minutes a day”.

Basically it is about making dough, and leaving it in the fridge and then taking it out daily and baking breads. Its interesting (haven’t tried it yet) but in reading the book i noticed one thing. It says things about parbaking, and leaving the uncooked dough in the freezer, but it doesn’t say anything about freezing the breads AFTER they are baked. Can you freeze fully done breads??

Posted: 27 January 2010 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Ski, Rose recommends freezing fully-baked breads and I do it often.  I have an eat-it-or-freeze-it policy with bread- whatever isn’t eaten immediately after cooling gets wrapped in double plastic wrap and foil, then frozen.  To reheat, I thaw, still wrapped, on the counter, then pop it into a hot oven for 5-10”. 

I haven’t tried the five minutes a day method, but I imagine that those loaves freeze well, too.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 27 January 2010 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

how long would you say the breads are good in the freezer for?? 

THanks for the info!!

Posted: 27 January 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi SweetNess, I freeze bread all the while, and have done for years, very successfully.  You can leave it in the freezer for weeks, dare I say months, if you forget about it as I do sometimes, and in my experience it is still alright!  As Julie says, leave it in its’ wrapper to defrost, I don’t bother to put it in the oven I just use it as a normal loaf.  Of course if it has been part-baked you will then finish baking it when out of the freezer.

Posted: 27 January 2010 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

perfect! Thats what i am going to do then. I just got a huge chest freezer and i want to make breads in advance.

Posted: 27 January 2010 05:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

We freeze the bread my husband makes all the time. It doesn’t taste quite as “fresh” after defrosting. For sandwiches we give it a very light toasting to freshen it up a bit. Mostly it gets used for breakfast toast, with occasional grilled cheese sandwiches and French toast.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 28 January 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Sweetness, my husband spends the week end baking so we have baked bread all week, and some.  It is just the two of us here giving us a lot of left over bread, and we find most recipes freeze well when they are wrapped correctly.  Some taste better when they are defrosted, but all taste better than anything we can buy in a store (no bread bakeries here).  I agree as others have said, just wrap them well, and freeze them as soon as they are cool.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 28 January 2010 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-04

thanks for everyones replies. i am going to try to make some bread this weekend, it seems like i cant get anything done lately. I will let you know how it turns out.

Posted: 01 February 2010 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-01

My name is Mark.  I live in Cincinnati.  Midwest living and great food can be hard to come by.  I have a dear Italian friend whom would like me to bake a bread I’m not familiar with:  Tuscan Garfagnana Potato Bread.  Can you share a recipe?
Best,
Mark

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Have you tried Google?