Weighing Active Yeast
Posted: 28 January 2010 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-28

I am very new to making bread.  In fact, I have only baked one loaf so far. I only intend to make kosher bread using kosher ingredients and where I live in Melbourne Australia, I can only buy dry yeast in 7 gm packets, “active” I think, or instant yeast in 10gm packets. But most bread recipes books only indicate measurements of yeast in teaspoons or tablespoons. I have the Bread Bible of course and you have given exact gram conversions, but I am having trouble measuring the precise amount of yeast required with decimal precision even with digital scales. Can you give me some practical advice for measuring these kinds of yeast exactly. I am probably making too big a deal about this, but I am trying to follow your recipes to the letter.

Posted: 28 January 2010 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2007-11-15

If you don’t have a scale that will measure in very small increments the best way to measure the yeast is by volume, I think, ie by using a spoon measure.  I use ‘instant’ yeast and manage to weigh it on my digital scale, I put the flour in the bowl, tare it and add the dried yeast.  This seems to work perfectly, I would think you could do the same if you have a digital scale.  I hope this helps you. grin

Posted: 28 January 2010 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2007-11-15

Sorry, I forgot to welcome you to the blog!  You will find lots of help here, everyone is very friendly and don’t be afraid to ask, we are all here to learn from each other!

Posted: 28 January 2010 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1012
Joined  2007-11-21

Hi!  And yes….Welcome!  I find it easier to measure small amounts with spoons rather than weighing them…and I weigh everything.

Posted: 29 January 2010 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

Welcome! I also prefer to measure yeast, baking powder, etc with measuring spoons. Are Australian measures the same as US? A US cup is 236.5882365 milliliters according to http://www.onlineconversions.com A US .Tablespoon is 14.786764781 mL and a US teaspoon is 4.928921594 mL.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara