Middle Eastern recipes
Posted: 29 January 2010 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-29

Hi.  I love turkish pide breads and flat breads like tortilla and was a bit disappointed that this type of recipe was not included in the Bread Bible.  Does anyone have a good, SUCCESSFUL recipe for these breads.  I have tried a few but they just don’t come out the same.  I thank you all in anticipation.

Posted: 29 January 2010 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

There are some very talented bakers from the Middle East who post to http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

Posted: 29 January 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I’ve heard good things about Peter Reinhart’s “The Bread Baker’s Apprentice” book and I think it has some recipe for flatbreads. Have you tried those?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 29 January 2010 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2009-05-14

Are you interested in a Turkish Simit recipe? There is a recipe on my blog for simit that I made about a year and a half ago. I also have a new cookbook called Warm Bread and Honey Cake by Gaitra Pagrach-Chandra that has also a simit recipe in it and has Pogaca, Potica and lots of unusual recipes. She gives gram weighing measurement/ ounces/ cups. (let’s hope this catches on!) cheers

Posted: 17 June 2010 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-06-16

Try “Flatbreads and Flavors” by Jeremy Alford and Naomi Duguid.  The book is a few years old, but I believe they won a James Beard award for their efforts. 

I have two of their other cookbooks (South Asian and Southeast Asian) and the recipes are always delicious.

‹‹ Weighing Active Yeast      ciabatta ››