1 of 3
Chocolate Cake
Posted: 02 February 2010 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

As many of you know, I’m a Dentist.  In addition to my clinic obligations and my private practice, I do a little teaching in some hospital training programs.  I am scheduled to teach this evening in one of the hospitals here in New York.  The Surgeon who is the director of the program is a patient of mine and is in my office quite often and I have been talking with her for years about the cakes that I make.  When she called me to confirm the teaching engagement she said: “and how about bringing one of those cakes you are always talking about?”.  “What kind?” I aked.  “Chocolate, of course” she said.  OK…my usual request for “chocolate cake” unless otherwise specified would be Chocolate fudge cake from the cake bible, with “Bill’s Buttercream”. (Feels strange to type that when I’m Bill…but whatever).  I’m sort of getting bored of this cake though and thought I might try something different.  Then I thought: “Everyone loves this cake…the people you are baking for never had it…so…”

Here it is…yet another chocolate fudge cake with “Bill’s Buttercream”  to be served at the lecture tonight.  These dentists have no idea that I’m bringing this cake!  I think it would be great fun to be a dental resident, show up at a lecture in the evening which is required and which you really don’t want to go to after working all day in the clinic…and be presented with CAKE!

Image Attachments
Ingrid and Brandon's cake.jpg

Posted: 02 February 2010 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Hi Bill,

Your cake is gorgeous, as usual. You may have been bored with making this, but I bet not a single dentist felt boredom when they saw your cake that night. Your dental program is really fortunate: you present a teaching session and bring the refreshment!

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 02 February 2010 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Bill
your cake is absolutely beautiful. It is a Platonic ideal of perfectly frosted cake. Your residents will feel very loved by you. Lucky them. And what a good soul you are to make it for them.
A bow of respect to you,
Shokat

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Shokot.  I’m looking forward to the evening with them.

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks Kathleen.  I enjoyed making it. I won’t be bored when I eat it LOL

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

That cake is perfection, you do such beautiful work.  I’m smiling thinking of all those people attending the lecture, not knowing yet what’s in store…

Have fun!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  777
Joined  2007-11-15

A lovely, lovely cake as usual, Bill!

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake as always Bill. And a nice story. It’s so nice of you to make this cake for the lecture. I’m sure they will all enjoy it.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

What a beautiful cake, Bill!  I’ve seen many of your posted cakes and I aspire to be able to ice a cake as wonderful as you do!

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Your cake is gorgeous! What lucky dentists. I have a dentist in my family and I find it ironic that they still have a sweet tooth.  smile Enjoy your evening

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1197
Joined  2009-11-24
avivaleah - 02 February 2010 04:44 PM

What a beautiful cake, Bill!  I’ve seen many of your posted cakes and I aspire to be able to ice a cake as wonderful as you do!

Ditto!! Wow

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

You must tell us what kind of reactions you get. I’ll bet it’s going to knock everybody’s socks off, both in terms of looks and taste!

Posted: 02 February 2010 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

i love sweets…if you brush…not a problem.  Will post the reaction tomorrow.

Posted: 02 February 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

What a beautiful perfect cake!!!!

Posted: 02 February 2010 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2595
Joined  2007-11-15

Perfectly stunning as usual Bill.  I hope you’ll savor a piece for us!  Expecting a full report in the morning!!
smile

Signature 

Come visit me at

Blog:  http://butteryum.org
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/ButterYum
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/butteryum/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/ButterYum.ATastyLittleFoodBlog

Posted: 03 February 2010 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Well…they were a kind of low key group.  The attending staff (the older doctors) were stunned both with the cake’s appearance and taste/texture.  The residents (recent dental school grads) said nothing…just kind of sat there at ate.  Not sure if they were just a blase bunch or if they are totally exhausted from working in the clinic.  I do know that the director of the program boxed up what was left (about one third of the cake ) and said: “My son is going to love this”

1 of 3

‹‹ Rose Trellis      First time posting ››