2 of 3
Chocolate Cake
Posted: 03 February 2010 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Beautiful cake Bill and a great story.  I am sure the residents are probably a bit over whelmed at your generosity.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 03 February 2010 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1215
Joined  2009-11-24
Montanamom123 - 03 February 2010 09:10 PM

Beautiful cake Bill and a great story.  I am sure the residents are probably a bit over whelmed at your generosity.

my thoughts

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 February 2010 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I would like to think they were overwhelmed…..but there is a big part of me that figures…they’re young and they are New Yorkers LOL

Posted: 05 February 2010 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

I have been cruising this forum for a little over a week, Bill.  You do beautiful work!

Posted: 07 February 2010 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks!  I always credit my teacher Toba Garrett

Posted: 07 February 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-31

I have learned much from Toba Garrett as well!  I love her work.

Posted: 07 February 2010 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

I have one of Toba’s Garrett’s books.  Did you, Cyndy or Bill, use a practice buttercream or practice with real buttercream… I intend to do more practicing…. but the practice buttercream I made did not work as well as the meringue buttercream.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2010 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-31

I learned to decorate with a shortening based buttercream not the real thing.  I would suggest that whatever you want are going to use to decorate your cakes; you practice with as well.  You get a feel for your icing and know if it is right, wrong, or somewhere in between.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  I am now learning to use these real buttercreams.  Smoothing and piping feel differently to me because of the ingredients in the icing itself.  I will not go back to a shortening based buttercream!

Posted: 07 February 2010 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
cyndy40 - 07 February 2010 10:12 PM

I learned to decorate with a shortening based buttercream not the real thing.  I would suggest that whatever you want are going to use to decorate your cakes; you practice with as well.  You get a feel for your icing and know if it is right, wrong, or somewhere in between.  Perfect practice makes perfect.  I am now learning to use these real buttercreams.  Smoothing and piping feel differently to me because of the ingredients in the icing itself.  I will not go back to a shortening based buttercream!

The one thing I have done for years from TCB is the Mousseline buttercream…but the feel between the practice shortening buttercream and the mousseling BC is very different.  I have never made a cake with shortening….I think I need to put more shortening in my practice stuff to get a better consistency for practice.  I will keep working on it.  I had given up for a few years because I had carpal tunnel (from computer use)...... thank you for replying—- your work is so beautiful.

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2010 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

Chocolate perfection! Beautiful cake.

Posted: 15 February 2010 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

What a gorgeous cake, Bill.  Those students probably wouldn’t know good food if it bit them on the a**, LOL, that’s probably why you didn’t get much of a reaction out of them.  They may have even preferred store crap, that may be all they have ever eaten, so when something home made and super delicious was given to them, they didn’t like it because it wasn’t what they were used to.  Notice the older crowd loved it.  : )

Posted: 18 February 2010 09:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

CRenee:
I did practice with a shortening/confectioners sugar practice buttercream while I was taking the class with Toba. (The class was 5 hours a day for one week).  But it feels completely different than an egg/sugar syrup buttercream.  It just takes time…and lots of doing.  People tell me that I had an advantage because as a dentist, I’d been working with my hands for years…but quite frankly, its really a different skill set completely.  My first cakes looked nothing like the ones I do now.  Its been about 4 years since I took the class…and I bake about 2 or 3 cakes a month.

Posted: 18 February 2010 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Bill - 18 February 2010 01:05 PM

CRenee:
I did practice with a shortening/confectioners sugar practice buttercream while I was taking the class with Toba. (The class was 5 hours a day for one week).  But it feels completely different than an egg/sugar syrup buttercream.  It just takes time…and lots of doing.  People tell me that I had an advantage because as a dentist, I’d been working with my hands for years…but quite frankly, its really a different skill set completely.  My first cakes looked nothing like the ones I do now.  Its been about 4 years since I took the class…and I bake about 2 or 3 cakes a month.

Thank you, Bill…I remembered (painfully) why I had stopped practicing after I took my class a few years ago.  Carpal Tunnel!!!! I know it is practice, practice, practice….but I think it does need to be done with a real buttercream. 

Which, by the way, I am thinking that I like the state of my buttercream before freezing.  Perhaps, I am not waiting long enough for it to thaw (come to room temperature).

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2010 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

I freeze my buttercream in ziplock freezer bags.  I take the buttercream out of the bag, put it on a cutting board and chop it into little pieces with a big chef’s knife.  Then I put the pieces in a large shallow bowl, and it defrosts in no time.

Posted: 18 February 2010 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Bill, what a great idea to freeze your buttercream in freezer bags and then chop it into small pieces to thaw.  You are such a wealth of great ideas.  I am definitely going to use this trick the next time I make my buttercream and freeze it.  It will probably take up alot less room in my freezer!

2 of 3

‹‹ Rose Trellis      First time posting ››