1 of 2
Birthday Cake
Posted: 02 February 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Hi Everyone!

I am up for making a Thomas the Train cake this weekend for my nephew?s 3rd birthday party.  My sister in law asked for a vanilla cake.  I have both of Roses books and sat down last weekend trying to figure out which cake to make.  Are there any suggestions?  Also, for the frosting, since I will be piping it, does anyone have a suggestion.  Will the butter cream work?

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

It?s nice that you?re willing to take on a project for your nephew! 

What kind of pan will you be using?

Vanilla everywhere, or are other flavors welcomed?  I like to use fruit in children?s cakes, they seem to like it.

Mousseline is very nice for piping, you can add vanilla extract to taste instead of the liqueur.

schnacks143, I deleted your duplicate post, hope that’s OK?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you!

My post wasn’t showing up so thank you for deleting it. 

I am pretty sure that my sister in law is fine with anything…I just think she wants a base vanilla cake.  I am using the Thomas and Friends Wilton cake pan. 

I basically couldn’t decide which cake to use in this pan…there are so many!  I have done Mousseline once before as an inner layer to a cake.  I don’t think I could decorate with it…I may have done it wrong though.

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Is it this pan?  http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Thomas-2105-1349-Retired-Collectible/dp/B001YA8O3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265128838&sr=8-1

You’ll probably want a layer cake, my favorite is the sour cream butter cake. 

What happened to the mousseline that made it seem like you couldn’t pipe with it?  Like any buttercream (or anything with butter) it is temperature-sensitive, but people use it to pipe magnificent wedding cakes.  It’s perfectly smooth and creamy.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Yes that is the pan. 

I am not sure about the mousseline I added the raspberry jam and it didn’t seem right after that.  I may need more practice with it.  It may have been that I didn’t mix it enough, but I let it mix for such a long time.

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Schnacks,
Can you describe the mousseline that did not work out so we can find out what the problem was. I have had no problem piping with this buttercream. I don’t think it would be a problem to decorate the cake like in the link Julie provided. Since it is winter, temp should not be a major issue this weekend.

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

I really honestly can’t…I made my sister’s shower cake in November.  I just remember the consistency was funny to work with, it was ok after refrigeration though and in the cake.  I suppose I could try it again, the mousseline, and if it doesn’t work, just go to a regular butter cream.  Can I make the mousseline ahead of time?

Posted: 02 February 2010 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

This was her cake:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1585/

It was just the raspberry mousseline in Rose’s book.

Posted: 02 February 2010 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Mousseline freezes perfectly, but remember to allow a LONG time for it to thaw and come to room temp.  Rebeat only after it fully reaches room temp, this time of year I pull it from the freezer and leave it out on the counter overnight.

I’m not really sure what may have happened to the raspberry version, did it curdle and then come back together (emulsify into a smooth, creamy texture)?

If you make it ahead of time and it turns out lovely and smooth, you can pop it in the freezer.  If it isn’t right, at least there’s time for a fix.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2010 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

I just remember it seemed watery and not to mix right.  I wish I had blogged about it then.  I just didn’t have the time. 

So basically, In doing piping you think I should use the mousseline.  This is ok to dye as well?

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

If the mousseline seemed runny then maybe the sugar syrup was not heated to correct temperature. All the water must evaporate out of the sugar in order for the meringue to be strong enough and not weep or be too liquidy. If you used a candy thermometer you might have to swap that out for an instant read. They are cheap, you can get one for $10 at bed bath and beyond and in most cooking stores for under $20.  Also, check out the link below. The thread topic was soft Silk Meringue but Hector talks about mousseline in the thread and the importance of having the correct temp for the sugar syrup. There are also other threads about mousseline. I’ll try to find it and post it here.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/305/

Secondly, I dye the mousseline all the time. If you want black though, I could make a dark chocolate version and then add black color to that so you get a darker black. When I added a lot of black to white I just got a dark grey.

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

Here is a lot of info on mousseline.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2007/04/mousseline_buttercream_in_a_to.html

Pay special attention to Hector’s comments.

And here is the mousseline super thread:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/764/

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-11-25
Julie - 02 February 2010 04:44 PM

Is it this pan?  http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Thomas-2105-1349-Retired-Collectible/dp/B001YA8O3U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1265128838&sr=8-1

You’ll probably want a layer cake, my favorite is the sour cream butter cake. 

What happened to the mousseline that made it seem like you couldn’t pipe with it?  Like any buttercream (or anything with butter) it is temperature-sensitive, but people use it to pipe magnificent wedding cakes.  It’s perfectly smooth and creamy.

Julie, what can we use to substitute sour cream in this cake?  Is iogurt OK?

Posted: 02 February 2010 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

I think this same cake in the new book RHC says use sour cream or full fat yogurt. Many of rose’s sour cream cakes say you can use full fat yogurt in place of sour cream.

Posted: 02 February 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what belasuna said- plain whole milk yogurt.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-11-25

Thanks Belasuna and Julie.
Unfortunately, I don’t have RHC yet. But in the way to get one!!

1 of 2