2 of 2
Birthday Cake
Posted: 05 February 2010 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

If using the Sour Cream Butter Cake…will a chocolate ganache go ok with this?  Or maybe chocolate mousseline?  After speaking to my sister in law…she likes the idea of a vanilla/white cake with 1 central chocolate frosting layer (I was thinking ganache or chocolate mousseling) and the white chocolate buttercream that I made at for my sister’s baby shower as the decorating icing.

Any thoughts?

Posted: 08 February 2010 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

So it is done…here it is.

I ended up just making another 1/2 batch of batter and cupcakes.  After talking to Mom, she didn’t think a whole cake layer base was necessary at the time.  It turned out it wasn’t and neither were the cupcakes.  Although the cake was very good, there was plenty of leftovers. 

My nephew was so excited!  A special Thomas cake made just for him! 

The Mousseline came out perfect this time!  I have no idea what happened to the raspberry mousseline I did last time.  One issue though, was that the Wilton frosting colors left a sort of chemical flavor?!?!  has anyone had this happen?  I know I tasted the mousseline before any color additions, and there was no funny taste.

Image Attachments
20441_448033445510_625785510_10813902_7910139_n.jpg

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Can’t comment about the taste, but it looks GREAT! LOL

Posted: 08 February 2010 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
schnacks143 - 08 February 2010 02:11 PM

So it is done…here it is.

I ended up just making another 1/2 batch of batter and cupcakes.  After talking to Mom, she didn’t think a whole cake layer base was necessary at the time.  It turned out it wasn’t and neither were the cupcakes.  Although the cake was very good, there was plenty of leftovers. 

My nephew was so excited!  A special Thomas cake made just for him! 

The Mousseline came out perfect this time!  I have no idea what happened to the raspberry mousseline I did last time.  One issue though, was that the Wilton frosting colors left a sort of chemical flavor?!?!  has anyone had this happen?  I know I tasted the mousseline before any color additions, and there was no funny taste.

Great cake! I’m so happy the mousseline worked out this time. It took me a couple of trials to get it right.

I can comment on the flavor of Wilton’s colorings. I made superbowl cupcakes this past weekend and used Wilton’s blue and black colors to tint a vanilla-white chocolate mousseline. I did notice a distinct chemical aftertaste. I only used the tinted mousseline for the piping so each cupcake did not have a lot on it, which is the good thing. 

Maybe someone can recommend good quality coloring w/o aftertaste?

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

Did you just buy the colorings this weekend?  Or did you have them around?  I am wondering if there is a problem with the specific product/batch.

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations, great looking cake!  Thomas calls for dark colors, must have taken a lot of coloring…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-10

This is an post I read at http://www.cooksillustrated.com…It proves it isn’t just the batch.

Welcome to the world of cake decorating. Try this website: http://www.cakecentral.com

I would not buy any of the Wilton products like icing or fondant. I make my own and know mine won’t have any bad after taste like wilton’s. Also making your own allows you to experiment with icing consistency. Some kinds of decorations require stiff icing and some thinner. I always make extra icing, especially when making colored icing. You want to be sure you have enough of each color. It is a PIA to run out of a color half way through a project. If you are weak on mixing colors you don’t want to have to make a second batch and hope the color matches. Matching icing can sometimes be a problem. Buttercream icings will darken as they sit. If I am going to make a dark icing, I refrigerate overnight to let the color ripen (so to speak). Make some practice icing out of just shortening and powdered sugar. It won’t taste very good, like real butter or cream cheese frostings, but it is an inexpensive way to practice. This practice icing keeps forever too. Wilton colors tend to have a bad taste as well, if you can find them try Americolor. Wilton is okay if that is all you have locally to practice but other manufacturers products are superior - if you are going to feed this to friends and family - you want to be proud of your work. I will say the Wilon books are a good place to learn piping techniques. Also this website http://www.atecousa.net and click on the learn button.

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07
schnacks143 - 08 February 2010 07:10 PM

Did you just buy the colorings this weekend?  Or did you have them around?  I am wondering if there is a problem with the specific product/batch.

Both the blue and the black were new—just bought 2 days prior to opening. But I’ve had the same chemically taste from other colors that I’ve had for a few months. I think I’ll never use Wilton’s coloring again and invest in the Americolor.  I only like to use colorings in BC for decorations that will not be used in large quanitities on a cake. I just don’t like the unnatural-ness of it.

Thanks for the other info also.

Susan

2 of 2