Stenciled Pie question
Posted: 02 February 2010 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-01

Hi everyone!
I am new to this site. My passion is baking pies. I am always looking for the unusual or a new recipe I haven’t tried.
I would love to put in a pie business and have the perfect place and building on our property, but my husband doesn’t share the same enthusiam as I do, so it will have to be put on the back burnner,for now, but I am trying to learn all I can in the meantime.
So…. to my question. The pie championships that are held each year in Celebration, Florida, did anyone see the stenciled pie one contestant did on his top crust. I would be interested to know what he put on it. If it was food coloring or some kind of sugar mixture. I know he put it on before he baked it.

I love to talk pie, so I will be checking back in.

Thanks in advance!
KK

Posted: 02 February 2010 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-02

Dear KK who loves pies

Me too. 

The paint for stenciling on pies is egg beaten lightly with food color.  It works beautifully.  Hope it works for you.  I use it a lot.

marcella

Posted: 02 February 2010 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t think this was used in the Celebration competition, but on a similar note, in the Pie & Pastry Bible (I think the lemon pucker pie), Rose mentions dextrose as a sugar that can be used to decorate the tops of pies, it’s not as sweet as regular sugar and lasts for hours.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 03 February 2010 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-01

Thanks Marcella and Julie!! I will try this. I think you could do any design you could imagine.
Thanks again.
Kk