Buttercream that can last without refrigeration
Posted: 04 February 2010 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-12-30

I am baking the Chocolate Butter cupcakes from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  I want to ice it with a buttercream that can last without refrigeration for the entire day as I will be going outdoors.  I was thinking of pairing it with the NeoClassic Buttercream but it can last without refrigeration for about 4 hours.  Please advise what buttercream will be suitable.  I want something that is soft (not the stiff royal icing type).

Posted: 04 February 2010 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Mousseline buttercream can last 3 days without refrigeration, I believe.  It is delicious and versatile.  I know that the method for making the mousseline buttercream in Rose’s Heavely Cakes is different than the recipe in the cake bible.  Since I’m the kind of person that really resists change…I still do the version in the cake bible.  If you are looking for something chocolate I have a version of mousseline that I’ve been using for years that a lot of the bloggers have dubbed “Bill’s Mousseline”.  I use one recipe of mousseline buttercream from the cake bible, 8 oz of melted bittersweet chocolate and 30 grams (1/3 cup) of dutch processed cocoa powder.  It is amazingly delicious and chocolaty and will hold up fine at room temperature. (Just to be sure the amounts are correct, the mousseline recipe in the cake bible uses one pound of butter and 1 cup sugar…that way if the yield for mousseline in Heavely Cakes is different, you can adjust the amounts of chocolate and cocoa powder accordingly.

In any event, if you are aren’t looking for a chocolate buttercream, use any of the variations of mousseline…they are all delicious.  One of my favorites is to beat orange curd into the mousseline…this goes beautifully with chocolate.

Good luck!

Posted: 04 February 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Don’t forget about ganache too!

Posted: 06 February 2010 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  161
Joined  2007-11-21

Delighted to see your recipe, Bill. I have wished for it but just never asked! Thanks. j

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 February 2010 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Joan…Just ask!  no problem.  It’s been posted a few times.  I’m always willing to share recipes…I have no secret recipes that I refuse to give out!

Posted: 07 February 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-01-13

Giggle! Giggle!

I have one recipe I never give out!  I know that sounds wierd but it’s for Strub’s Garlic Dill Pickles and it really depends upon that season’s size of cukes as to what the measurements truly are!!  If anyone wanted the recipe I always had to go and help them buy the ingredients and make the pickles!

You guys make me chuckle, it’s nice to see people sharing and having fun with their baking and cooking. 

Denim

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-12-30

Hi Bill, Thank you very much for sharing your receipe.  I will try it indeed as we have an office function coming up with its theme revolving around the Lunar New Year festival. I am thinking of doing a Mandarin Orange Buttercream.  Any ideas??  However, I still have a long way to go in icing a cake, thus will keep it as simple.  Your cake is beautifully iced and terrific looking!!

Posted: 09 February 2010 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

dream cakes:
In the cake bible is a variation for mousseline butter cream that is orange flavor.  You make an orange curd first and then beat it into the buttercream.  It is quite a bit of work…you have to boil down orange juice, make the curd, make the butter cream…HOWEVER, this is probably the most delicious frosting I have ever tasted. Making it with tiny mandarine oranges would be very very difficult, I think.  I would probably use regular oranges and call it Mandarine Orange…who’s going to know?

Posted: 09 February 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I once tried making marmalade with fresh Satsuma Mandarin oranges and found that they are very mild and sweet—even the peel is milder than most other oranges. It makes for a rather bland marmalade and I suspect you’d have the same trouble with orange curd. Not to mention the difficulties in squeezing all those tiny oranges! I’d say go with regular orange curd, too. Maybe you can get some mandarin orange flavored liqueur or essence to add? And garnish with mandarin orange segments?

P.S. I also made home-canned Mandarin orange segments in syrup, and candied some of the peel. Those were both very successful although a lot of work. The peel came out very soft, flexible, and not bitter—again, milder tasting than other orange peels, but lovely for eating just plain!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

‹‹ Why Real Baking?      A Baker in a Snowstorm ››