1 of 2
Temperatures : fully baked cakes and muffins
Posted: 04 February 2010 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Rose says most layer cakes are baked fully when they reach between 195 and 205 degrees F.

Would this apply to muffins as well?

Posted: 04 February 2010 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi paul, I would say yes -)

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Thanks Hector!
I seem to always overbake mine.

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

i could not leave w/o testing cake doneness by temperature.  the cake tester wooden pick is thing of the past.  thermometers are fast an accurate nowadays, and many are super affordable.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Hector my Thermapen arrived today on your recommendation. Thank you.

Seems to take a bit longer than 3 seconds to measure and the temp is not constant. Moves up and down. Any tips on using it??

Posted: 04 February 2010 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

what are you taking the temperature on that is taking longer than 3 seconds or the temp moves up and down?  this happens to me when i measure ice water.

but during baking or cooking, i do get the 3 seconds and constant reading.

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2010 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Did the iced water test - have not baked with it as yet.

Posted: 04 February 2010 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Working fine now. This is going to be a real pleasure to use!

Posted: 04 February 2010 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I have to get one…I"m always looking at that toothpick with a question mark on my face.  I seem to underbake more often than over bake.

Posted: 04 February 2010 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Bill - the toothpick did not work for me! Probably as I am new to this.

It will be great having at least one constant in this baking process that I can rely on.

Posted: 04 February 2010 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

for me, the thermapen is the #1 choice, get it if you can, but if you can’t, there are less costly thermometers,  either made by the same manufacturer or by others.  the ones i own are the ones i have listed on my amazon.com store.  please don’t confuse this with an infrared which are great but practical for other uses.  to test cake doneness, i prefer a tip thermometer (one with a needle tip), as taking the temperature with an infrared would only register the surface temperature and you instead need the temperature of the cake center

because i do a lot of new cakes and experimentation, specially baking in different pan shapes, the toothpick method isn’t reliable for me.  the thermapen (or similar others) make me think i am using a high end toothpick with a digital readout.

i will be posting my last youtube segment for genoise rose, sometime in the near future (need to view it one more time on my editing machine), and you can see me testing the temperature of this cake several times, just to get the point across that 200oF is much better to notice than a clean/unclean toothpick.

happy baking everyone, and so great that electronics for kitchens are now affordable!

Signature 

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Hector what do you use Infrared for?

Could one use them to measure oven temp accurately?

Unfortunately Thermaworks which is geared for offshore sales does not make a suitable simple oven thermometer (one without cables). They have a good range of other types. The other major US thermometer company does not deal offshore. I am still looking for an accurate oven thermometer.

Look forward to genoise rose.

Posted: 05 February 2010 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

For oven temp I use a variety. 

First the little cdn dot2 nsf oven thermometer, stays in the oven.  It is slow to read but accurate.

Then I use my pocket ir to read the temp of my oven tiles.  When my tiles read the same to the dot2 is when I know my oven is well preheated.

There are some laser guided ir thermometers which people use to read oven temp thru the oven door window but I don’t have one nor think is neccessary.

Really, once you know your oven, you won’t be checking the temp all the time.  Now I mostly just use my cdn dot2 and that is the one I carry when traveling.  Plus my little ir which I also use to heat sugar, cream sauces, till about under 25 to 50 oF from desired, then I switch to thermapen.

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2010 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Hector my problem is that the CDN range is not available to me.

Please take a look at the Thermoworks range on their site and advise on what you think is the best one there for measuring oven temps. I will be most gratefull!!

They don’t have one like the dot2.

Posted: 05 February 2010 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

How about this one??

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/ir_mini.html

Posted: 05 February 2010 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Paul, I like the looks of that mini infra-red.  I would be shooting it at everything if I had it.  You could point it at different areas of the oven to check for hotspots, check the temp of the oven floor before putting a pie on it, check countertop temps before working with butter doughs, find a good (warm) spot for bread rising, a good (cool) spot for bigas, and so forth. 

That said, if you suspect your oven is off, you could try putting a small container of oil (refined for high heat) in your oven and use the thermapen to take the temp of that as a general indicator of oven temp.  Just don’t leave the oil in too long (perhaps take it out after preheating, when you put the cake in) or use it at too high temps, you don’t want it to start smoking and impart off flavors to your baked goods.  It will take a little longer to preheat, to allow the oil and its container to come up to oven temp.  Once you have a read on oven temp, you probably won’t have to keep doing the oil thing- just occaisionally if you suspect a problem.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

1 of 2