Joined  2009-10-14

Arrived today from Ohio. smile

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html

Posted: 04 February 2010 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Sooo exciting… I am going get one of those one day!! Congratulations.

3 second readings….and it comes in Red too! grin

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 February 2010 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

I opted for enviro-friendly green.  I really doubted it would reach me here in Africa (so many hungry mouths) but it did!

Posted: 04 February 2010 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I have to get one.  I have to get one.  I really have to get one.  (I will probably get red)  LOL

Posted: 04 February 2010 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooooo, pretty.  I’m so excited for you, have fun!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 February 2010 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Julie I really needed this!  I am a minimalist and learnt long ago one does not require a vast array of equipment.
But this was an exception.

Incidentally I found Thermaworks highly efficient and geared for offshore business. What a pleasure dealing with them.

Bill red is very popular.

Posted: 05 February 2010 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

My Kitchen aid mixer is red, and my food processor is red…so there you have it…Red it is!

Posted: 05 February 2010 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Red it is then.

But my green is really luxuriant—so so tropical and lush!!

By the way Bill - as the King of Cup cakes -  how do you tell when your cup cakes are fully baked?

Posted: 05 February 2010 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-21

Usually I use a tooth pick for cupcakes…it is really easy to overbake cupcakes so I keep a close eye on them.  I always use paper liners…and you really do want to get them out before they start to shrink.  I check with a toothpick…and pray that I don’t see that slight shadow of shrinkage inbetween the paper liner and the side of the pan.

As long as we are on the cupcake topic…I have come up with my own yellow cupcake recipe that I am happy with.  I love the taste of Rose’s yellow cupcakes…but they are lighter and fluffier than I prefer when I’m going to use a large amount of dense frosting.  (Rose prefers the cake to be the star…and a light fluffy cup cake with a small amount of frosting woudl be her #1 choice).  I however, feel the cupcake is there to hold up the delicious sweet frosting…and therefore, I like something a little denser.  It’s been a long process of trial and error, but I’ve finally got something that I’m happy with.

Posted: 05 February 2010 10:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

Well Bill you are already famous on four continents for your carrot cake.

Posted: 05 February 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21

As I recall, Bill is responsible for Bill’s Famous Buttercream also?
My Thermapen is red too, and matches all else. Haven’t had a chance to bake for several weeks, but can’t wait to use it.

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 February 2010 12:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

It is so good to use fine equipment and makes baking so much easier. Joan you will love Thermapen!

Posted: 06 February 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
Paul - 04 February 2010 08:23 PM

I opted for enviro-friendly green.  I really doubted it would reach me here in Africa (so many hungry mouths) but it did!

Mine is green, too, and I use it almost every day.  It broke, however, about 14 months after purchasing it.  Readings just went crazy.  Don’t recall what the warranty was on it, but they sent me a new one, after evaluating my old one.  Turnaround time was only about a week, but I felt crippled with it out of my hands.  I wouldn’t mind having a spare, but it’s a bit too expensive just to have one lying around not used.  Rather, I have a cheepo that I bought from Target, which is very accurate, but really slow.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 February 2010 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-10-14

The cheap one’s are too slow. They seem a very good company - I had excellent service. Plenty of competition out there!

Posted: 05 June 2010 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2007-11-21
Paul - 05 February 2010 02:08 PM

Red it is then.

But my green is really luxuriant—so so tropical and lush!!

By the way Bill - as the King of Cup cakes -  how do you tell when your cup cakes are fully baked?

I have been laboring about this all day, even with the thermapen. some are saying between 190-200 but my chocolate butter cupcake centers were still just a tad goopy a long after the time or the degree internally. Finally they looked good and crumb decent but there is a lingering gummy sensation in the center. Did you ever experience this? I baked them in silicone, using foil and paper liners sprayed with bakers joy. I guess i will freeze til Monday night to frost [it’s Sat]. Or I could refrigerate. What do you think, Bill? This is my second cupcake experience - cant you tell? I presume I should leave the paper and foil on? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joan

Signature 

http://bakingsorceressapprentice.blogspot.com

Posted: 06 June 2010 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Wow nice! I want one as well!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

1 of 2