A Baker in a Snowstorm
Posted: 05 February 2010 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1178
Joined  2009-11-24

Our area is expecting a huge snowstorm….so naturally everyone is stocking up on soda, loaf bread, meat, snacks, shovels…. I am checking recipe ingredients….

extract - check
baking powder - check
cake flour - check
eggs - check
butter - check
baker’s joy - check
sugar - check

With so many recipe choices, who know what will come from my oven.  I hope I can at least walk to my neighbors to give some away.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 05 February 2010 07:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds like fun- let us know what you end up making!  Hope you don’t have to shovel too much snow…

My favorite gingerbread cookie variation came from a snowstorm.  It was December, a snow day (no school), and we decided to bake some gingerbread cookies, but didn’t have any molasses. I used dark maple syrup from a local farm, and it turned out that we liked that even better than the molasses.  Now we make them every year as a regional variation.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 February 2010 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I posted a message on the thread that discussed how we got started baking…and our family’s baking history…etc. I mentioned that my mom usually baked from a box mix.  The one thing I neglected to say…was that when it snowed…she baked from scratch.  It was something that she did when caught in the house because of a snow storm.  My sister now bakes with her kids on snow days…and I bake on snow days…well, I bake when ever I get a chance LOL

Posted: 05 February 2010 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 05 February 2010 11:56 AM

Sounds like fun- let us know what you end up making!  Hope you don’t have to shovel too much snow…

My favorite gingerbread cookie variation came from a snowstorm.  It was December, a snow day (no school), and we decided to bake some gingerbread cookies, but didn’t have any molasses. I used dark maple syrup from a local farm, and it turned out that we liked that even better than the molasses.  Now we make them every year as a regional variation.

I hope that a neighbor shovels for me and my baking will their reward!

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Bill - 05 February 2010 12:54 PM

I posted a message on the thread that discussed how we got started baking…and our family’s baking history…etc. I mentioned that my mom usually baked from a box mix.  The one thing I neglected to say…was that when it snowed…she baked from scratch.  It was something that she did when caught in the house because of a snow storm.  My sister now bakes with her kids on snow days…and I bake on snow days…well, I bake when ever I get a chance LOL

LOL ...A snow day just gives me another excuse.

Signature 

Posted: 05 February 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

My kind of day, but we don’t have snow days! For us it would be floods.

Posted: 05 February 2010 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Not this past Christmas, but the one before was preceded by two weeks of snowstorms back to back. So unusual for Victoria. I loved it!! By chance, had completed all my shopping for the remaining Christmas baking, mostly for gifts to give friends. The rains finally came to wash the roads clear enough so I could deliver them all on Christmas Eve Day. Perfect! Photos below of Canadian geese mooching around the neighbourhood for sustenance!

Stay warm and safe! Enjoy your baking. Do let us know what you make and what you’ve learned.

Image Attachments
IMG_2410.jpgIMG_2415.jpg

Posted: 06 February 2010 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Cyndy, can you bake during a flood?
Fabulous pic, Carolita.

Okay, so far, during this great blizzard: 

1. as I had already made 2 11 cup batches of buttercream, I sent those yesterday freezer at my mother’s house. I only have freezer with my fridge.
2.  I checked TCB for guidelines on keeping fondant..I had made Classic Fondant for first time.  Buttercream for Baby Shower Cake (postponed) and fondant for decoration (not coverig). 
3.  I had purchased lemons and had plenty of yolks so I made double batch of lemon curd (now in freezer).
4.  A friend had requested Pineapple Upside Down Cake (which I had never made) but agreed anyway.  So I had two fresh pineapples (cored by Del Monte).... well if I was brave enough to make PUD cake, surely I can make Pineapple puree (from TCB).  The pineapple is in the resting stage right now.
5.  Now a cake is the oven.  I can hardly wait.  Another new recipe from RHC!!!

I hope these projects in progress work out.

Signature 

Posted: 06 February 2010 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds great!  Which cake did you make?

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2010 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24

Julie, here it is - Double Chocolate Valentine, sort of.  I just finished….

I made just half recipe of the cake, coated it in a Raspberry Ganache, and covered it with the lacquer glaze.  The small heart shape (Wilton) pan seemed (was) too small for the resulting batter.  (Had a feeling as I was putting it in).  The cake ran over the edge some.  I have been making ganache for years but this food processor method is wonderful.  I had leftover raspberry sauce so I included that.  I just love the smooth ganache.  My lacquer glaze seemed to come out okay (not as well as first time)...and my pouring was poor.  I chose this cake because I had yolks to use.  I did use a different cocoa (trying to use up what’s on hand before ordering some others (better).  I do think I prefer the Deep Choc. Passion for chocolate cake. 

I am certainly getting good experience.

Meanwhile, I desparately want to bake the Golden Almond Genoise tomorrow….but I think I need to work on other house projects as well as do some more shoveling tomorrow.  The snow is knee deep and I am 5’8”.

Image Attachments
DSC_0097.jpgDSC_0101.jpgDSC_0104_2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2010 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Sounds and looks delicious!  Thanks for the tasting notes.  And sorry about all the shoveling…

Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 08 February 2010 06:54 PM

Sounds and looks delicious!  Thanks for the tasting notes.  And sorry about all the shoveling…

No worries….course they are now predicting another 10 inches tomorrow!!!!

Signature