Birthday Cake II!- Odd Shaped Pan Advice!
Posted: 06 February 2010 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Hi Everyone!

I am very excited to start my cake for my 3 year old nephew!  He is so happy his aunt Sackie…(Jackie) is making a train cake for him!  The only thing is I am using the Wilton Thomas and friends cake.  I am going to take advice and use the Sour Cream Butter Cake.  I will make chocolate Mousseline for the center and white chocolate mousseline for the outside.  This will be my first time piping like this! 

Anyway…I am in need of some advice about how much to fill the pan.  I plan on making 1.5 times the recipe as it only serves 8-10 in a 9 inch round…I know there will be double the people at the party.  How high do I fill the 2 inch pan?  Also, I have cake strips and will try to use them on this odd shape.  How much do I increase baking time?  I will use the remainder batter in cupcakes.  Luckily I have a smaller oven above so I should be able to put everything in at once. 

I am looking for any last minute advice on using this odd shaped pan!

http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Thomas-and-Friends-Pan

Posted: 06 February 2010 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

After having used several of these specialty pans, my advise would be to fill it 1/2 to 2/3 full just like a normal shaped pan.  Also, ensure that you do smooth the batter with an offset decorating spatula into all of the cracks and crevices.  Using the baking strips will certainly help it to bake evenly.  As far as the number of servings, have you considered “mounting” Thomas on a rectangular shaped cake?  This would give you the number of servings that you need and make a neat base for him.  You could always pipe railroad tracks under him.  Just an idea.  This will be a fun project for you.  It will all be worth is when your nephew thanks Aunt Sackie with a huge grin, hug, and kiss!

Posted: 06 February 2010 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

That is a great idea…I am definitely going to consider this…I just finished my first batch of batter. 
Just for a reference 1.5 times the Sour Cream Butter Cake will yield filling the Thomas and Friends pan a little more than 1/2 way.

Posted: 06 February 2010 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

You could use fondant or even twizzlers for the railroad tracks if you choose to do this.  The twizzlers would need to be the pull and peel to get the thin line that you would need.