1 of 2
Pound Cake or Cake
Posted: 06 February 2010 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-02-06

Hello, I am desperately trying to figure out how to semi-replicate the texture of a Sara Lee pound cake.  I have been trying for years and have made a ton of pound cakes to no avail.  I just made the Perfect Pound Cake from TCB, being told it was similar to a Sara Lee, and it is nothing, nothing, nothing, like it.  The pound cake turned out texture wise almost reminding me of cornbread.  I am not trying to get the taste, I am going for texture.  I recently had a cupcake from a gourmet cupcake store (Cupcake A La Mode) and it had the texture I am looking for, so surely it’s possible to make something like this myself.  Would it be a preservative of some sort that can make a smooth, creamy texture, that feels spongy, but completely dense and not airy.  After making a million different pound cakes and none turning out how I wanted, I just figured it was some sort of preservative that made a Sara Lee the way it is.  The lady who owns the cupcake store won’t tell me how she makes her cupcakes (obviously, lol), but she has done in a cupcake, what I have been trying to do for years.  There has got to be something I can do to make a cake or cupcake that is dense, smooth to the point where I would almost say it is creamy (if you can even call a cake creamy), yet somehow spongy without being light and airy.  Does any of this make sense, lol.  Thanks for any help!  grin

Posted: 06 February 2010 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
SandraInKC - 07 February 2010 01:53 AM

The pound cake turned out texture wise almost reminding me of cornbread.

I made the Perfect Pound Cake a few weeks ago and it was the smoothest, most velvety pound cake that I have ever experienced.  It was nothing, nothing, nothing like any corn bread I’ve eaten, although I confess I’m not a big corn bread fan.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 06 February 2010 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-06

Maybe I did something wrong when I made the perfect pound cake :(

This one is not terribly bad, but it is definitely not smooth or velvety.

This was the first time I actually followed the directions exactly for baking anything and it didn’t turn out well.

Posted: 06 February 2010 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
SandraInKC - 07 February 2010 02:13 AM

Could be.  Have you made other of Rose’s Cakes?

I made this pound cake primarily to compare it to the pound cake recipe of Cooks Illustrated, which they felt was the very best there could be.  I liked them both, but thought that Rose’s had the finer texture.

You might consider trying some of Shirley Coriher’s recipes in “Bakewise”; she experimented extensively with pound cake recipes.  Her favorite incorporates whipped cream to lighten the batter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 February 2010 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-06

This was my first cake of Rose’s that I’ve made.  I will order the Bakewise book and check it out.  I have not given up on the perfect pound cake though, I have read nothing but rave reviews so I must be doing something wrong.

Posted: 07 February 2010 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Try the Whipped Cream cake in RHC, that is similar to a Pound cake but IMO it is very smooth and ‘creamy’ in texture, a lovely, lovely cake!

Posted: 07 February 2010 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

I don’t think Rose’s cakes are going to have the density you are looking for.  It has been years since I had the SL pound cake, but I remember it having a very dense/compact crumb.  I’ve seen a recipe for a sour cream pound cake that looked quite dense.  I will PM you if I can find it.

Posted: 07 February 2010 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-06

I will try the whipping cream cake and yes, if you find the sour cream recipe, please send it.

Thanks all!

Posted: 07 February 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
CharlesT - 07 February 2010 03:46 AM
SandraInKC - 07 February 2010 02:13 AM

Could be.  Have you made other of Rose’s Cakes?

I made this pound cake primarily to compare it to the pound cake recipe of Cooks Illustrated, which they felt was the very best there could be.  I liked them both, but thought that Rose’s had the finer texture.

You might consider trying some of Shirley Coriher’s recipes in “Bakewise”; she experimented extensively with pound cake recipes.  Her favorite incorporates whipped cream to lighten the batter.

that is good to know Charles.  I have that book “Bakewise” on my wish list.  I have a favorite pound cake recipe from my aunt, but I intend to try Rose’s.  And since you mention it, I will try Cooks Illustrated also.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 07 February 2010 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
SandraInKC - 07 February 2010 07:47 PM

I will try the whipping cream cake and yes, if you find the sour cream recipe, please send it.

Thanks all!

I can also send you the pound cake recipe I use if you like…. do not know if it is similar to SL but it is different in components and ratio than Roses.

Signature 

Posted: 07 February 2010 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
CRenee - 07 February 2010 09:52 PM

I have that book ?Bakewise? on my wish list. .

The reviews for the book aren’t nearly as positive as for “Cookwise”.  And many complain that her recipes are too sweet.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 February 2010 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-06
CRenee - 07 February 2010 09:57 PM

Thanks all!

I can also send you the pound cake recipe I use if you like…. do not know if it is similar to SL but it is different in components and ratio than Roses.

If you would send me the recipe that would be great!  I’m trying every recipe I can find because eventually I have to find what I am looking for smile

Posted: 07 February 2010 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-24
SandraInKC - 07 February 2010 11:27 PM
CRenee - 07 February 2010 09:57 PM

Thanks all!

If you would send me the recipe that would be great!  I’m trying every recipe I can find because eventually I have to find what I am looking for smile

Sent via PM

Signature 

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

In the Cake Bible, perhaps the golden butter cream cake?  It is very dense, although the flavor is better than a pound cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 09 February 2010 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

In Dorie Greenspan’s “Baking: From My Home to Yours,” there is a recipe for Rum-Soaked Vanilla Cake, pages 226-227. In the introduction to the recipe, Dorie compares it to a Sara Lee pound cake. So that would be worth a try, too. By the way, the recipe calls for all-purpose flour. In the back of the book, Dorie says she uses bleached all-purpose flour and measures by scoop-and-sweep, and on her blog she has said that she goes by 1 cup of flour = 4.8 ounces.

I suspect the texture you’re looking for is partly due to the use of emulsifiers. I hope you can end up with something close eventually. Good luck!

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 09 February 2010 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Barbara, I was thinking the same thing.  Perhaps one of the cakes containing white chocolate?  Golden Luxury cake.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

1 of 2