2 of 2
Pound Cake or Cake
Posted: 01 March 2010 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-08-27

I made the Perfect Pound Cake just last night.  Instead of a loaf pan, I bake in two 6” x 2” round pans.  Though I never taste the Sara Lee’s pound cake before, ho! I am in the opposite side of your world but the cake is indeed what it’s been described in the cake bible.  As its name implies, it is perfect for me.  In fact, I am enjoying one slice now as I am typing this.  Cheers, bonnie

Posted: 19 March 2010 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2009-09-25

Just curious, what kind of flour do you use when you make your cakes?
What is the approximate altitude above sealevel for your oven?
At what temp do you bake your cakes and for how long using these pans (size?) and this recipe?
How do you measure your ingredients (or, if the recipe calls for flour, how do you measure it, how do you mesure the butter?  Do you ever substitute margarine for butter?)?

Inquiring minds want to know! grin

Signature 

Tom <”))))>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

Posted: 25 March 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-03-23

I am new to Rose’s books.  I had made the Sour Cream Butter Cake a few days before and my hubby said it tasted like a wonderful pound cake, while arguing with him about the type of cake decided to make the Perfect Pound Cake to show him it wasn’t the same thing!  I made the Pound Cake yesterday.  Not wanting to wait to taste it (cause it smelled heavenly) we cut into it almost as soon as it came out of the oven.  It was light in texture and not the dense pound cake I was expecting…HOWEVER…

In my haste I didn’t wait for the cake to completely cool before placing it in my cake storage container.  When we went back a few hours later (for a late night snack) it was moist, DENSE, and still heavenly.  Don’t know if this is the texture you are looking for, but you might try using my mistake to see if it provides you with the results you are looking for!  It was definitely more of a pound cake consistency that I expected when we first sliced into it!

Hope this helps!

Posted: 13 April 2010 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  192
Joined  2010-04-11

Ok this is slightly OT but I have to chime in since luv2bake mentioned her Husband thinking the butter cake was pound cake! I am always amazed at the way each person’s tastes differ! I made an 8” chocolate butter and blueberry butter cake the other day for a client’s baby shower, and while she loved the flavor, she complained it seemed more like pound cake instead of a fluffy butter cake. It SO was butter cake! Not even a dense one at that. Anyhow, it just makes me wonder about the perception here, too. Perhaps it IS the emulsifiers, or the moisture? I haven’t baked any of Rose’s cakes, just bought both books TCB and RHC. Soon, very soon.

I hope the OP finds what they are after, boy, isn’t the journey fun? Ahhh…

Signature 

http://www.vanillaexpressions.com

Posted: 25 April 2010 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-19

I admire your quest definitely keep us posted. I too have been baking pound cake a lot lately and (somewhat a newbie) have enjoyed the challenge of getting the perfect browning and done-ness. I have definitely been looking for a reference to what a perfect pound cake should be and will look for Sara Lee the next time I am in the store. I have tried the ATK melted butter one and other variations , “cold oven pound cake”  is in probably my next adventure. Feel free to share details of your quest like what u have tried and what the results were taste, texture etc. I have found it amazing what minutiae is generated in documenting the process. I do this to recall exactly what I did for future reference as I only bake once a week.

Posted: 25 April 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2007-11-16

I think the problem here is that people in general each have a different expectation of what a Pound Cake is.  I like every recipe that I have ever tried that Shirley Corriher or Rose Levy Beranbaum have published; however, their recipes for Pound Cake ARE NOT POUND CAKE.  A pound cake is a pound each of Butter, Sugar, Flour and Butter plus a touch of Salt and optional Flavoring.  It’s all in how the ingredients are treated and combined that enable the cake to rise and have the traditional taste and texture of Pound Cake.

2 of 2