White chocolate cigarettes/cigarellos
Posted: 04 February 2008 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-02-04

Where can I buy white chocolate cigarettes/cigarellos for decorating around the outside of a wedding cake?  I see lots of pictures online of cakes decorated like this, but can’t find anywhere to purchase them except for UK websites where they’re terribly expensive to purchase and ship to the US. 

Thanks!
Suzy

Posted: 04 February 2008 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2008-02-03

Hmm…try Albert Uster Imports (http://www.auiswiss.com) or any other chocolate supply company.  I’ll look later and post any other sites that might be helpful.  But AUI is the type of site that would carry these.

Posted: 04 February 2008 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-03

I found them!  http://www.pastrychef.com/CHOCOLATE-CIGARETTES_p_7-701.html

Posted: 05 February 2008 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-02-04

I couldn’t find them on the Swiss chocolate company page, but you found them on pastrychef.com - thanks!  They’re spendy little things, aren’t they??

-Suzy

Posted: 05 February 2008 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-03

yes, quite pricey!  The alternative is to make your own.  I can look for instructions when I get home tonight…I know that I have several books that outline how to make them.

Hope all is well!

Posted: 02 March 2008 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-02-29

the instructions for the “cigarellos” are on the web site; cake central.com. I believe it is under construction at the moment and you may not be able to access it until March 3rd. Email me directly if you need more assistance. I can provide a link

Valerie

Posted: 02 March 2008 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  599
Joined  2007-11-27

Other distributors carry them - they’re called Panatella and I’ve seen them called “quills” too. Who do you get your chocolate from?  Maybe a google search on chocolate panatella or chocolate quills it would give some useful results.  I buy them from AUI, from Swiss Chalet, from my local chocolate distributor; from Boston Gourmet Chefs and I think even Sysco carries Dobla products.  Some of these only sell to the trade.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 06 March 2008 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

learn to make them yourself! it is not difficult and all kinds of chocolate culrs/ ruffles come in handy when cake decorating.

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 18 August 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-13

This post is 2.5 years old, but I have the same dilemma - where to buy chocolate cigarettes / cigarillos, so I’m bumping it.

I’ve tried making them, but can’t seem to get the hang of it. I haven’t tried the method which calls for painting the chocolate on acetate molds, but may have to try that if I can’t find a source. My husband is gone Friday-Sunday, so I will have plenty of time to try and perfect the technique!

I am picturing a chocolate devil’s food cake with chocolate ganache, surrounded by chocolate cigarillos. OR…. sour cream cake w/white chocolate buttercream and white chocolate cigarillos.

So, does anyone have either a supplier for the finished goods or a good how-to method for making them?

Thanks,
Mary

Posted: 19 August 2010 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Did you look at the sources listed above?  I didn’t look too carefully, but the link looks like it could be cookies instead of chocolate. 

I’ve only tried to make these once, I used the method in the Cake Bible and they turned out reasonably well.  Here they are:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/2055/P60/

I’ve seen them lined up around the sides of cakes, and they’re beautiful, but the ones I made seemed very delicate, like I’d loose a number of them if I tried to attach them to the side of a cake.  Maybe I painted my chocolate too thin?  Mine seemed more suited to piling up on top.

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 19 August 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-03-13

Thanks - There’s directions in TCB? I checked the index, but didn’t find anything. I will have to check again tonight when I get home. Thanks!

And, WOW! The pastrychef prices are pretty steep! I hope I can master the technique.

Posted: 19 August 2010 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

In the Cake Bible, pages 380-383 have tempering (absolutely necessary) and cigarettes. 

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 05 October 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-06-16

I was actually searching to see if anyone has used Albert Uster Import’s 2 different types of Dutched cocoa, and saw this post about the choc cigarillos. I just opened an account with AUI, and they call the cigarillos “mankados,” or something like that. Hope it helps.

http://www.confectionism.net