1 of 2
Valentine’s Cake?
Posted: 07 February 2010 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Any views as to which of Rose’s chocolate cake recipes would be most impressive in a heart-shaped pan for Valentine’s?  I tend to think something a bit richer than a regular chocolate cake recipe, but maybe not so dense as Chocolate Oblivion (I haven’t ever made it.)  The photo of the Double Chocolate Valentine doesn’t make the cake itself look very dark.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 07 February 2010 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Personally, I was planning to make the Double Chocolate Valentine, especially because the raspberry topping is so pretty. Even if it is not the last word in ultra-chocolate, I am sure I can find several folks in my family who will manage to finish it within a day or two.

I have tried the Devil’s Food cake in RHC, as well as the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake with the milk chocolate ganache syrup. Both cakes are super-wonderful, and very chocolately. I also made the Black Chocolate Party Cake, substituting ground pecans for the walnuts. The ground nuts gave it a denser, toothier texture, and the cocoa syrup infused it with a chocolately moistness that tasted even better the following day.

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

i haven’t made the Double Chocolate Valentine yet, but from seeing this heart shaped, ganache soaked, raspberry topped cake in almost each of Rose’s book tells me this cake is one of her favorites!  the color of the cake will depend on the cocoa brand you use.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 08 February 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I will suggest the deep chocolate passion cake.  I have made it a couple times now and it is the best chocolate cake I have ever tried.  Very moist and rich.  In RHC under the wedding cake section, Rose gives a recipe for a chocolate syrup to syrup the cake.  I haven’t done that yet,  but I bet it would be good.  My cakes were so delicious and moist, I didn’t use a syrup.  (that might be different with larger cakes that have been baked a few days before the event)  The texture is nice and soft and the chocolate colour is so dark it looks almost black.  I think it would be stunning with white chocolate mousseline buttercream or the light pink colour of a raspberry mousseline.

You are right about the chocolate oblivion truffle cake.  I made it this weekend and it is very, very rich.  It is like eating a slice of a dark, rich chocolate truffle.  Very yummy, but a very small piece will go a long way.  Definitely a cake for the true chocolate lover.  If ever you do make it,  use a very good quality chocolate to get that melt in your mouth texutre, since that is the main ingredient.  I think you might have a hard time getting it out the pan, unless it is a heart shaped cheesecake pan or a heart shaped cake ring.

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Christine S. - 08 February 2010 02:38 AM

Personally, I was planning to make the Double Chocolate Valentine, especially because the raspberry topping is so pretty. Even if it is not the last word in ultra-chocolate, I am sure I can find several folks in my family who will manage to finish it within a day or two.

If I were to make this cake, I wouldn’t use the raspberries, because I don’t feel that chocolate should be contaminated.  grin  But, yes, they do look pretty.

I have tried the Devil’s Food cake in RHC, as well as the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake with the milk chocolate ganache syrup. Both cakes are super-wonderful, and very chocolately.

The DCPC looks interesting, but I see that it calls for bleached all-purpose; I don’t stock that and I’d feel guilty throwing it away.The Dark Chocolate Lacquer Glaze says to refrigerate a *minimum* of 8 hours.  Do you know why that is?  Why refrigerate just to rewarm it before glazing?

The Devil’s Food looks good, and a bit simpler than the DCPC, but I think it’d look better with the glaze.  Hmmm, glaze over the ganache?

Thanks

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
hectorwong - 08 February 2010 07:15 AM

the color of the cake will depend on the cocoa brand you use.

Well, I DO have some of King Arthur’s Black Cocoa, so I guess I could get it as dark as I wanted.  People have said, though, that larger concentrations of that cocoa can be a bit harsh.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Liza - 08 February 2010 02:19 PM

I will suggest the deep chocolate passion cake.  I have made it a couple times now and it is the best chocolate cake I have ever tried.  Very moist and rich.  In RHC under the wedding cake section, Rose gives a recipe for a chocolate syrup to syrup the cake.  I haven’t done that yet,  but I bet it would be good.  My cakes were so delicious and moist, I didn’t use a syrup.  (that might be different with larger cakes that have been baked a few days before the event)  The texture is nice and soft and the chocolate colour is so dark it looks almost black.

That sounds like what I’m going for.  Leaving out the syrup would make preparation simpler, but it still looks time-consuming to make without a weekend to work with.  I’ll have to give that some consideration.

Thank you!

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

CharlesT,

When I made the DCPC I made it about a week before and froze it well wrapped in plastic wrap and in a large ziploc bag.  When I was ready to assemble the cake I took it out of the freezer the night before and left it wrapped at room temp overnight.  It was ready to decorate in the morning and it was still super moist.  I do that with alot of the cakes that I make because I don’t have alot of free time.  I have never had a problem with the cakes being to dry.  I have also just put the well wrapped cake in the fridge for a couple days until I was ready to assemble and decorate.  I don’t like the feeling of being rushed at the very end.  Trying to bake the cake, make the filling, make the buttercream in one day is too stressful for me at least.  When ever I can make anything in advance and freeze or refridgerate I do.
Alot of cakes will freeze well and Rose’s buttercream icing’s and ganache recipes freeze very well.

Posted: 08 February 2010 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

If you like chocolate enhanced with toasted almond, there’s the bittersweet Cocoa Almond Genoise, which is very dark without having to resort to harsh or bland cocoas.  It’s a flourless chocolate cake, lighter and more cake-like than the oblivion.  It bakes up with a slightly sunken shape, you can trim or press down the sides.  The key to this cake is to get the ground almonds as fine as possible and to use a full-fat cocoa, like Green & Black’s or Bensdorpf.

Because I’ve made two of the BCAG in the last month, I’m going to try the deep choc passion for valentine’s, can’t wait.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 08 February 2010 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2009-11-10

Wow!  Aren’t there a lot to choose from!  I will be attempting another cake this weekend for my best friend’s birthday.  It is on Valentine’s Day…and her favorite thing is rich dark chocolate cakes!  I have made her the same cake for the past two years which was a combination of recipes I accumulated…a rich moist dark chocolate cake layered with chocolate hazelnut mousse and finished with a chocolate ganache…but now there are new things to try!

Posted: 10 February 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

How would you do the cake strips for the heart pan?  There’s a gap in the…uh….cleavage.  I got the 10” pan and one strip won’t make it all the way around and connecting two of them is way too long.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

You’re right Charles, there is a gap created with the curves, but they still work.  I have the 9 inch, so one fits, not sure about 10—how far off is the one from fitting—can you use a clamp of some sort to connect?

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Meant to add, I just go straight across the curves at the top, no need to try to follow them with the strips.

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Matthew - 11 February 2010 03:19 AM

You’re right Charles, there is a gap created with the curves, but they still work.  I have the 9 inch, so one fits, not sure about 10—how far off is the one from fitting—can you use a clamp of some sort to connect?

There’s about a 2-3 inch gap between the ends.  These are the velcro ones, but I suppose I could clip a piece of foil between them.

Meant to add, I just go straight across the curves at the top, no need to try to follow them with the strips.

That’s what I assumed you meant.  Surprises me they’re still effective.

I already baked this one and it didn’t seem to do too badly.  The middle part actually sank a bit, so it’s not domed and the height is maybe 1/8 inch short of the described 1 1/2 inch.  This is the chocolate passion cake.

Thank you.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 11 February 2010 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I’ve done the red velvet three times in the heart pan with strips, but not this particular cake yet.

Posted: 14 February 2010 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

I made the DCPC with the syrup, and it was delicious! It is the cake the kids picked as the grooms cake for the wedding. We are very dry in this part of the country, and I had to make the cake and freeze it ahead, plus they were going to taste it one day, and serve the rest several days later, so I wanted it to be moist. I haven’t had the report on how it held up after they served it last night, but it was perfect after defrosting and for our tasting.
I’m sure this cake is excellent with or without the syrup, but the syrup did add quite a bit of moisture.

Signature 

Linda R.

1 of 2