2 of 6
February Bake-Off
Posted: 12 February 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Lovely! What are the little dots on the chocolate cake? Did you buy them or make them? And I love your citrus roses!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 12 February 2010 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Great job Linda.They look so good. Looking forward to the wedding cake pictures. When is the wedding?

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 February 2010 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you Silke and Roxanne.
Silke: the dots are the Valhrona Les Perles, I used them inside too.  It is the Grand Marnier cake.
Roxanne: July 17th of this year, and I have a lot of work to do on my decorating!  Luckily she wants the Mousseline which is easy to use, and fresh flowers.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 12 February 2010 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

They look perfect. I love the height and the decorations! Looks very professional!
Linda, how do you divide those recipes to make the 6 inch? Do you just divide the 12 inches recipe in half? Did you make any other adjustments?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 12 February 2010 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Linda, beautiful cakes!  Your daughter is lucky to have you working on her cakes, you’re planning so far ahead and baking practice cakes, very well done!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 12 February 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s my Triple Chocolate Valentine’s Cake, and my Blood Orange Chocolate Crown, both from the Cake Bible. 

For the Triple choc, the components are exactly as written in the Cake Bible, the only change is the presentation.  I shaped the praline sheets to fit the heart shape of the pan, so each layer of cake is topped with a (flat) praline sheet and smooth shells of light whipped ganache.  I also brushed the sides with a little of the ganache while it was still liquid, to seal them.  I used a half recipe of the praline (4 oz chocolate and 5 oz praline powder), and while it was strong enough to handle by itself, it needed to be placed on the cake before piping the shells (or else placed on a sheet pan, piped and chilled before moving to the cake).  Tasting notes to come once we cut into it tomorrow, I’m looking forward to it.

For the Blood Orange Crown, I used Wondra for the ladyfingers, and brushed them with a little Cointreau.  The flavor with Wondra is lovely, tastier than cake flour, can’t wait to make them again!

I also made a Meyer Lemon genoise, which doesn’t fit the theme, but I just wanted to show the texture and height with Wondra.  I do like the flavor of Wondra in genoise, the height bakes up about 3/8” shorter than with cake flour/cornstarch (1 3/8” before trimming crusts, versus 1 3/4” for the flour/cornstarch).  This was filled with curd, frosted with curd cream, and syruped with tangerine juice and white rum.

Editing to say, I read in RHC that the Wondra should only bake up 1/8 to 1/4” shorter, so I guess I need to practice my folding technique!

Image Attachments
Triple Choc Valentine.jpgBlood Orange Choc Crown.jpgMeyer Lemon Genoise.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2010 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-05

Julie, how beautiful they are!  I think I am going to have to try them next! Ooops, after the Sour Cream cake…  I think the Meyer lemon is perfect for a theme of chocolate or citrus!
Jenn: I used the cake recipes for 6” and 9” and just multiplied by .3 -from the wedding cake section of TCB and RHC’s.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 13 February 2010 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Love the Valentine’s Cake, Julie! It looks perfect! Looking forward to the taste report grin

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2010 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Soooo…. after my bitching about wanting to do citrus I ended up making - a Chocolate Oblivion with the Chocolate Lacquer Glaze grin

I tried the Lacquer Glaze once before and it wasn’t great, no major disaster, but it just didn’t come out right, so I had to try it again. And I had to make a wedding cake taste test for the Chocolate Oblivion, so I gave the undecorated 4” cake to the bride and went for the Lacquer glaze on the 6”. Taste test: The bride loves it and thinks I should open a bakery - thanks Rose! Lacquer Glaze test: Looked much better this time, and was pretty easy to pour and put on. I had a bit of trouble on the sides, but it came out nice in the end. Learning: Follow the recipe and make sure you have all the ingredients, I had to use a bit of Nesquik last time because I ran out of unsweetened cocoa.

Attached is 1 process photo, and the final product. Thinking about where I should take it now so I get maxium ohs and ahs out of it - LOL!

Image Attachments
Chocolate Oblivion with Lacquer 1.jpgChocolate Oblivion with Lacquer 2.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2010 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie, your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!  Your Valentine cake is superb, who’s the lucky recipient?  The other cake also is a masterpiece, did you say recently that you didn’t start making cakes until a short time ago?  If I understand rightly, I find it hard to believe as your cakes look so professional.

Posted: 13 February 2010 06:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Such beautiful work in the bake-off this month!!! Jenn and Rozanne, loved seeing your takes on the True Orange Genoise and via your blogs, following links to some of the others. I think when I make it, I might try two layers of the genoise instead of splitting one. What do you think?

Linda, you are well and truly on your way to successful wedding and grooms’ cakes for July. You’ll be so glad of the advance planning and practice cakes. Everything is looking so good. Your daughter must be very pleased.

Julie, the right word has already been used in Jeannette’s post. Masterpieces, every one. It’s wonderful to see how you take one of Rose’s recipes and make it your own, as you did with the Triple Chocolate. Lovely to see what you did with the other two as well, and to have the visual proof that there’s a whole lot more to be explored in TCB. The new book is wonderful in its own right, but quite different and doesn’t preempt Rose’s seminal work.

Silke, your oblivion is darling! And wow, you certainly are getting the hang of the lacquer glaze. I can see why you got that reaction from the bride.

You guys have really set the bar high for the rest of us! Will have to see what we can do. tongue wink

Posted: 13 February 2010 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Wow, Linda that looks pretty good for “just” practice cakes.  And the flavor combinations sound great.  I never would have thought to put an orange rose on the chocolate cake, but it makes sense.

Julie, your TCC is impressive and so creative.  I never would have thought to do that with the praline sheet.  The Blood Orange Crown looks so perfect.  All look so professional. 

Silke, I too, am looking forward to trying the lacquer glaze again. My first time was actually better than my second but your looks so perfect!!!

I am with Carolita.  You all have set the bar very high. I can hardly wait to copy some of your flavor and presentation ideas.  After all, I want to be like you when I grow up.

Meanwhile, thinking…thinking.. thinking…

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 13 February 2010 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks, both of you! I think the trick with the glaze is just to have a cold cake and the glaze at temperature.

It’s funny, I was telling my husband earlier that this forum pushes me to make things nicer, and to try to excel in decorating. Without all of you we would have just eaten the chocolate oblivion without any further adornment….

We’ll have to start thinking of a March theme! (Citrus citrus citrus grin )

Signature 

Posted: 14 February 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-05

Silke, your cake looks wonderful. 

I didn’t put the glaze on the Chocolate Passion cake because it just seemed overwhelming to me.  I would not feel comfortable doing it for a wedding or grooms cake, so I decided we should try the cake without it. 

But after seeing yours, I will sure try it for home tasting!

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 14 February 2010 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Linda, Silke, Carol, CRenee and Jeanette, thanks so much for the kind words!

The triple chocolate cake was very tasty, sort of a cross between a cake and a truffle.  The moist chocolate genoise is lovely, very soft and fine and tastes like a chocolate bar, but I think that next time I will switch back to my favorite genoise au chocolate, just because I like the cocoa/browned butter flavors, and use just one layer, torted.  The praline sheets were sweet and crispy, and the light whipped ganache is always a favorite.  For my husband, this was too sweet, though he still managed two pieces.

Silke, your oblivion is just perfect, glad your bride approved!  Nice job on the glazing.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Signature 

2 of 6