1 of 2
Genoise: Can you over beat eggs?
Posted: 09 February 2010 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2009-09-09

Is it possible to over beat the eggs for Genoise?
I’m so sad
the last 3 Genoise I made all didn’t rise.

When I first started to make Genoise it came out perfect and I was so happy, but then I took a break from making it.
Now that I started again the last 3 i made just didn’t rise :(
I don’t know what’s wrong

today when the egg was beating it looked pretty light in color so I stopped it
I scooped some of it out to put into to chocolate mixture….but as i was scooping it didn’t seem a billowy as it should be
and for some odd reason i thought it started to look darker then it did when it was beating
so after i scooped some out i beat it a bit more just in case it wasn’t beaten enough >_<

but it looks like something failed >_<
I’m not sure if i over beat the eggs or just under beat it…but it was looking pretty light just like Rose said in her video

i’m so depress that the cake didn’t turn out again and it’s for my mom’s bday :(

Posted: 09 February 2010 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
Aggie - 10 February 2010 01:47 AM

Is it possible to over beat the eggs for Genoise?

It’s got to be very difficult.  I beat at high speed for 5 minutes, followed by medium for 10.  Supposedly the extended beating at medium speed helps stabilize the foam.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 February 2010 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi Aggie,

I think you need to follow the time recommendations closely—it is not just a matter of appearance.  Rose has a posting where she stopped when “it looked right,” but it actually hadn’t taken the full time, and the genoise failed.  Did you beat for the full time (5 for stand mixers, at least 10 for hand mixers)?  I’ve never heard of overbeating either.

Posted: 10 February 2010 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

What recipe r u using?  Moist chocolate genoise?  Cake Bible?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 10 February 2010 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

just the normal chocolate genoise from TCB
the one before the moist one
um..the classic one?
made with 5 eggs…

It’s very interesting because I watched Rose’s video for making Genoise…then I watch someone else…and she only whipped the eggs for about 1 min in a kitchen aid >_<

I actually forgot to look at the clock this time when i started beating >_<
that’s why i was depending on the look that Rose talked about in her video…the color and ribboning….

i guess i’ll just have to try this cake again some other time…i honestly don’t know what the difference is between the first several times i made this cake and these recent times :(

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

She couldn’t do a full five minutes on TV, that would be like torture smile  Some people wear ear plugs even at home!

Posted: 10 February 2010 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Here is the post I referred to:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2006/01/fear_of_genoise_an_important_l.html

Posted: 10 February 2010 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes to what Matthew said, you really do have to time the beating of the eggs.  It will look right long before it’s done.  It is possible to overbeat, but not until after 5 minutes on high with a powerful mixer (KA or similar). 

Good luck if you try again!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 February 2010 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-09

it’s good to know that over beating was probably not what had happened
b/c i use to overbeat egg whites a lot since the threshold for overbeating there is like…30 seconds

hum….i shall have to time myself next time i make the cake
my cake is basically an inch tall where as the book said 1.5 inches
so it’s very similar to what she had posted
i shall try again when my family finishes eating this cake…lol raspberry
can’t just throw out the failures smile

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  910
Joined  2009-05-25

I have decided to reopen this as I am working on making Genoise Au Chocolat—I have mixed results with genoise and I’ve made 2 in the last couple of days and both have been on the stout side!  The one I made today I made in my KA 7qt mixer…after 5 minutes on high, the egg foam was so thick it wasn’t even falling in ribbons.  IS this an indicator of overbeaten eggs?  It’s in the oven now and is definitely going to be a squat cake.  I am hoping to master the genoise some day, but I can’t say I’ve been very successful with it of late (I think I had better results back when I first started baking them).

Just unmolded and it’s not even a full inch in height—more like 3/4”—some flour pellets and from what I can tell a darker layer (probably butter) at the bottom.  I did make an effort to fold more than usual—but this is one sad little genoise!!

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 04 May 2013 05:11 PM

the egg foam was so thick it wasn’t even falling in ribbons.  IS this an indicator of overbeaten eggs?

I’d still suspect a folding problem; you might consider trying to incorporate the flour into the mixer with it running on the lowest speed.

As an aside, I decided that I really don’t like Genoise. Rather tasteless in comparison to a butter cake. Bleh. I really wanted to like it because of the higher skill level required in comparison to a butter cake, but then, so does baking on roller skates.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 May 2013 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks Charles, I really like the Moist Chocolate Genoise when I’ve made that—but the flavour of the Gen Au Chocolat (even with syrup) wasn’t chocolaty enough for me, but I still want to figure out the technique.  Instead, I made the Deep Chocolate Passion for the Strawberry Maria that I plan to take to an auction.  It appeals to many tastes, so I figure it would go over better than the genoise.

Posted: 05 May 2013 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I love Genoise. This is what I learned when my Genoise was not rise.

Did you warm the egg and sugar too hot? like over 100 Fah degree?
Sift the flour gently into the batter.
I alway put the temp of my oven up a little bit, about 355 to 360 right after I open the door to put the cake in then I lower to 350 when I see the cake rises. Maybe that is my oven.
If you make it right, the genoise will be moist and melted in your mouth.
I will make chocolate genoise next week with coffee syrup and then frost with mocha buttercream. Yum!
Try to do it again you will love Genoise Cake!

And then there is time when my Genoise rose but dry. There are some lessons to learn too. smile

Posted: 05 May 2013 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

re: eggs, a few pastry chefs/authors say that after five minutes of beating on high, any additional beating should be done on medium.  I have never experienced overbeating for whole eggs. You could try using a somewhat yolk-rich mixture of eggs, using the same total weight of eggs but including an extra yolk or two, for increased stability.

That said, I’m with Charles on this one, I would suspect folding issues before egg issues.  Folding is the hardest part of making a genoise and Gen au chocolate is the genoise with the most difficult folding because you have to fold in so many components. 

Genoise au chocolat is the one recipe where I like using a low fat cocoa, it gives the cake just the right amount of cocoa flavor (more than you get with a full fat cocoa). 

Nothing beats genoise for people who love moist cakes.  It is the syrup lover’s cake smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 06 May 2013 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks for the insight…I know folding is an issue and something I’ve yet to fully master, but I was shocked when the eggs didn’t fall in ribbons from the beater—it was a stiff foam.  I think I will divert my attention to the moist chocolate genoise…

Posted: 06 May 2013 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Sherrie - 06 May 2013 03:58 AM

Thanks for the insight…I know folding is an issue and something I’ve yet to fully master, but I was shocked when the eggs didn’t fall in ribbons from the beater—it was a stiff foam.  I think I will divert my attention to the moist chocolate genoise…

Could you have overheated the eggs? No idea what it would look like if you did and tried to whip it. (I’ve beaten the eggs on high for 10 minutes with no ill effects…can’t believe it caused this problem for you.)

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

1 of 2