Ganache that doesn’t stick to cake
Posted: 10 February 2010 12:30 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve been baking several cakes from RHC and I was curious if others have encountered issues with ganache and the chocolate lacquer glaze pulling away from the cake?  My hubby finds it particularly unpleasant when it attaches to the roof of his mouth when he eats a cake (I on the other hand just eat it upside down and enjoy the chocolate experience).  I suspect it may be due to the fact we keep the house fairly cool (usually around 18-19 C) —but if you are in warmer climes and had this I’d be interested to know.  TY

Posted: 10 February 2010 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

On which cake u r applying the ganache?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 10 February 2010 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Hmmm, not sure, Sherrie, perhaps you are on to something when you mention the temperature.

I’ve never had problems with ganache separating, either the dark or the light whipped.  Are you using a correct percentage chocolate?  Rose says this can happen with too much chocolate, so she adds more cream so that it will stick to the cake.

I’ve only used the glaze once, but I don’t remember any marked separation.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 10 February 2010 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Sherrie - I did have the issue of the ganache pulling away from the cake. It’s the Triple Chocolate cake that I tried to make a few weeks ago. It’s 6 inches Moist Chocolate Genoise with Light Whipped Ganache. I posted on the below thread link that the ganache failed miserably. I think I overwhipped it so it was super creamy (almost buttery) and it was hard to apply it to the cake - didn’t want to stick at all. Even after it was refrigerated and I cut the cake the ganache tried to separate from the cake. We didn’t have any issue eating it because I place the cake sideways in my mouth smile - so no sticking to the roof of the mouth.

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1885/

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 17 February 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I’ve been away for a bit so my apologies for no updates….I’ve had this problem with the lacquer glaze on the baby grands (made as directed) and the devil’s food from rhc (made as directed and with the update to the cake recipe).  If anything, my chocolate may be slightly under the percentage of cocoa mass, so likely not the issue (58% instead of 60%).  I’m guessing temp. but I was wondering if others have found it to happen even in warmer temps.

Posted: 17 February 2010 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

I should add that it goes onto the cake fairly well (in the case of the devil’s food when I didn’t have enough on the spatula, it pulled away).  The concern is mostly when eating and it comes off the cake in a layer and adheres to the roof of the mouth.

Posted: 17 February 2010 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Hi Sherrie,

Was your cake at room temp. when you served it?  I think that if your cake was too cool the ganache would be too firm and separate away from the cake.  I haven’t used ganache as a frosting before but I like to use the light whipped ganache for a filling and as long as the cake is at room temp, the ganache stays nice and soft, almost like a buttercream consistency.

Posted: 17 February 2010 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-25

My house is usually around 18-19 C (65 F or slightly warmer) so it’s on the cool side.  I don’t like “heating” cake so perhaps I’ll have to turn up the thermostat.  I don’t refrigerate, but perhaps this is cool enough to cause the problem.