1 of 2
Black Forrest Cake and Biscuit de Savoie
Posted: 16 February 2010 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

A couple of cakes I made recently outside the HCB bakers. Both from TCB.
Black Forrest Cake. I made 1/2 recipe of Moist Chocolate Genoise, split it in half. Syruped with the reduced canned cherry syrup with brandy. I baked the cake in a regular 9 inch pan. I placed the 1st layer inside a springfoam pan (without the bottom). Top with the Stabilized Whipped Cream, then poked in the halved cherry all around the insides, placed the 2nd layer on top, top again with whipped cream, then piped the swirls (I don’t know if they’re rosettes or what shapes they are LOL). Top with cherries and shaved chocolate.
A couple of changes to the recipe: the last time I made this cake (a couple of years ago), it was too alcoholic for me. Since I made this for a dinner party where I’m not sure people are used to hard liquor, I only use less than 1/2 the required brandy amount. Unfortunately, I think I reduce it too much because we ended up not tasting the alcohol at all. Funny enough, a couple of friend there said it’s too much alcohol - so I guess it’s a good decision.
Tasting impression: Aside from the lack of alcohol, the cake is really good. I find the whipped cream is too plain, probably also because there’s not much alcohol taste in the cake so the plain whipped cream flavor stands out more. For next time, if I use less alcohol in the syrup, I want to try adding liqour to the whipped cream or making the light whipped ganache variation (which sounds really yummy!).
Biscuit de Savoie. I mistakenly ordered two 9 x 1.5 inch Magic Line pan from Amazon (instead of 9 x 2 inch pan). Good thing is that these pan becomes the perfect excuse for Biscuit de Savoie smile. I’ve been wanting to try this one ever since I saw Hector’s amazing project. The recipe calls for three 9 x 1.5 inch layers but I only made 2 layers so I multiple the recipe by 2/3. The cake itself is very easy to make, no real suprises or crazy challenges. I syruped the cake with Chambord. The frosting is Raspberry Mousseline from TCB (with a couple of tablespoon of Chambord). I loved raspberries so I actually made the full recipe of the raspberry sauce so I can use some to drizzle on top of the cake. I also didn’t add too much sugar in the sauce so it taste pretty tart, which I love and it ended up going well with the sweet cake.
Tasting impression: There are no words to describe this cake. It is soooooo yummy. The Biscuit is so moist and tender and sweet. And mousseline is so heavenly! It kinda bothered me that the cake is so pink though. I think it’s super cute but everytime I eat it I think “hm.. it’s really pink.” I also find it hillarious that it bothered me, considering there’s no artificial flavoring and the pink color comes from the frozen raspberries.

Image Attachments
Black Forrest Cake.jpgBiscuit de Savoie.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 16 February 2010 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Jenn, they both look wonderful. Your decorating is super. I like how you tried the different amounts of alcohol. I had that same comment on the Grand Marnier Cake, and would like to try it again with a little less alcohol, but not so much you don’t taste it. Thanks for all the details.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 16 February 2010 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Oh, Jenn, another bunch of beautiful cakes. Have to second Linda, your decorating skills are great!

How do you manage to eat all of them, though? You must have a big family big surprise

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 February 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Your cakes are beautiful Jenn.  I also think your piping is excellent, I wish I could do such beautiful decorating!

Posted: 16 February 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Linda, Silke, and Jeanette!
Silke - it’s just me and my other half in the house. We did eat the Biscuit on our own (took us a week!). The Black Forrest Cake was for Chinese New Year dinner so there were 9 of us. Several people took seconds and one couple took 2 slices home.
Biscuit de Savoie was the last cake I made before I said I will make 1/2 recipes from now on. In retrospect it’s too much sugar overall, all these wonderful cakes. But I love making them. So for compromise, 1/2 recipes then smile.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

I actually find that Biscuit de Savoie taste better as it ages. The day after I made it, my other half rated it 7.5. By the 3rd day after I made it, the rating increased to 8. Go figure.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Really gorgeous Jenn!  I made the BFC about a month ago (not as pretty as yours) when I finally found some 40% non ultra pasteurized cream. I think that really made a difference in the flavor of so much whipped cream. I supplemented the 40% even further with some butter using the old fashioned whipped cream recipe. Definitely the best whipped cream I have ever tasted, but so rich!.  I want to try the ganache version too as I still have some brandied cherries left.

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks Matthew!!! It’s hard for me to believe that your BFC is not prettier than mine, smile.
How does the non ultra pasteurized cream differs from the regular whipping cream in terms of taste? Does it have more taste? Do you basically whip it the same as you would whip cream?

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

It is hard for me to describe the difference, but I definitely liked it better.  It somehow has more layers of flavor and more nuances—maybe more floral?  Don’t know, but the ultra-pasteurized is more bland I guess I would say? I’ve been looking for it for years, and finally my Whole Foods started carrying it.  It does expire much faster, so I guess I can understand why most places won’t stock it.

Which kind of cherries did you brandy?

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

I use the Pitted Bing Cherries. I don’t remember the brand but I can check, got it at Vitamin Cottage. Which cherries did you get?
I will have to check out my Whole Foods to see if they carry that cream. I want to try it now.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Were they canned cherries?  I used the morello variation—bought a jar of morellos at trader joes.

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Yes they were canned. We don’t have Trader Joes here in Colorado :(. Were the morellos fresh? I never had them before.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

No, they were in a jar. I liked them, but they are smaller than the bing, and the finished product isn’t as dark. I think they are more tart than bing too.

Posted: 16 February 2010 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

The bing cherries I use were sweet. It was really good though. We ate every little piece of cherries on the cake smile. I wonder which cherries Rose use in the picture of BFC in TCB. They look bigger than the bing cherries.

Signature 

Posted: 16 February 2010 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Chinese New Year’s party? No excuse to have a party is ever bad, though I find it interesting to have a Black Forest cake for a Chinese themed party - LOL!

I also love baking, and making these gorgeous, really good tasting cakes. We’re also just two in the house, so I’m not baking for us because we’re both struggling to keep our weight in check. But we often have visitors, so that’s a great excuse to bake. Even with visitors I usually only make 6” cakes, I think they look cute, and they’ll for sure be gone soon.

You and Matt talking about the Black Forest Cake makes me salivate!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 16 February 2010 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Silke - hm.. you should have people over and make this cake then smile.
It’s more a dinner in a Chinese restaurant. We don’t usually order/eat dessert but I felt like baking. And as you’ve pointed out, there is really no relation between CNY and BFC - I just felt like making this particular cake. Though, a friend did suggested to make a tiger cake since it’s the year of the tiger, LOL. but I had my heart set on the BFC.
I often thought that maybe I should find a job in a bakery on Saturday, since I love baking but I don’t necessarily want to eat the whole cake (a piece is good enough wink ). But on the other hand, I have a full time job and I don’t think I want to work another full day on the weekend.

Signature 

1 of 2

‹‹ Red Velvet x 36      Stud muffin ››