2 of 2
What’s the best way to freeze zest?
Posted: 09 July 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Welcome gram - that sounds like a good idea.  I’d think about trying to freeze it in a thin layer too, just in case you get some bits sticking together (you could just break off what you need).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 09 July 2009 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-07-08

Hi Patrincia;  I tried it and it worked.  I spread the zest on a tray an let sit over night.  In the morning the zest was perfect for putting into a container and freeze.  However, I did put a piece of wax paper over the top to keep frozen crystals from forming on the zest.  Gram

Posted: 16 August 2009 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Have done the freezing bit with juiced lemons for years just because I hate to think of wasting anything. But how to deal with needing lemon zest in quantity? Some of you may have read about a wedding cake I’m making. A “lemonized” Golden Luxury cake with lemon curd and cream fillings and lemon mousseline—do you see a pattern here? rolleyes  smile

I knew I could buy frozen zest, but wanted to use fresh that didn’t have sugar incorporated. That’s where this thread came in. A big thanks to everyone who posted. I can add one small improvement. It happens that my toaster oven has a deydration setting. Actually, it’s a mini-convection oven by DeLonghi. I don’t have the optional dehydrator kit with the proper trays, so I did a test. Put the grated zest on a parchment-lined shallow pan. Gave it about 20 minutes on the dehydration setting. Tucked the dried zest in a container and put a piece of wax paper on top as Gram suggested. Perfect!

I’ll do 30 lemons, a few at a time over the next couple of days to be ready to make the various cake components this coming week. I imagine this would work for others even if you don’t have a mini-convection oven. A few minutes in a low oven perhaps?

Added by edit a few days later: This worked very well to produce zest for lemon curd. But the dried, frozen zest did not disperse well in cake batter. Not sure how the problem could be solved. Will think on it later—after I get this wedding cake done!

Posted: 16 August 2009 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Thanks for the info Carol. I’m definitely going to try it.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 August 2009 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

My latest try at saving lemon zest in bulk was to zest a whole bag of lemons with my Microplane grater, then weigh the zest and and an equal weight of sugar and twice the weight of vodka. I put it in a jar and put it in the freezer. It doesn’t freeze all the way because of the high alcohol content, so you can scoop out a bit of the “mush” and use it. It seems to be keeping really well.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 22 August 2009 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

What a great idea, Barbara! And I have the vodka on hand. Found some 100 proof to deal with my abundance of golden plums, as discussed on the other thread. That is, making hooch a la Hector. smile

Posted: 22 August 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

That seems like a good idea Barbara.  Does the vodka drain the color out of the zest?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 22 August 2009 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I think the vodka would drain the color out if you let it sit in the refrigerator, but I keep mine in the freezer. The idea is to use just enough vodka to make the zest/sugar mixture into a thick liquid / thin paste, so as to keep the air out and make it “scoopable.”

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

2 of 2