Doubling recipes
Posted: 19 February 2010 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Please don’t scream about this question, but I can’t find the answer (probably how I’m wording it). I’ve made quite a few of Rose’s cakes from her new book but several of them are just a 1 layer cake and I never make just 1 layer. If I want to just double the recipe to get a 2/9 inch layer cake, do I have to do the whole Rose factor thing. I tried to figure it out but I just can’t do it just to make one more layer. I always make it harder than it is I’m sure.

Thanks
Colleen

Posted: 19 February 2010 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Colleen, you only have to deal with the Rose factor if you are changing pan sizes (especially using a larger pan).  If the recipe calls for one 9” x 2” round layer and you want to bake two layers that size, just double it. 

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 19 February 2010 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Colleen, nobody’s going to yell at you. We’re all about helping each other here. As you suspected, the answer to your question is simple. Just double everything including the baking powder. No Rose Factors, no adjustments of any kind.

Things get a bit more complicated only when you want to use a recipe designed for one size, but in a significantly different sized pan. We can help you figure things out, when that day comes. But if it’s just increasing the amount of batter to make more layers of the same size, no problem.

Posted: 19 February 2010 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2009-05-17

Thank the goddess! Math and I never quite jived and the thought of having to do a math configuration every time i baked was more than my 61 yr. old brain could handle!!!

Colleen