Oven Thermometers
Posted: 20 February 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Can anyone recommend a reliable oven thermometer?  I presently do not have one and I have been thinking about getting one.  I have noticed alot of people here on the forums use them.  I have never really had any problems with my cakes not baking properly, but it would be nice to know if my oven temperature is accurate.  I have no clue if it is.

Posted: 20 February 2010 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

I use this one and it is pretty reliable http://astore.amazon.com/myyelkit-20/detail/B000095RC5

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 20 February 2010 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you Hector.  By the way I was looking on your website (My Yellow Kitchen) at your equipment reviews.  I ordered the MyWeigh Palm 8 scale, and the thermapen instant read thermometer and I am really looking forward to using them.  I am eventually going to purchase the KD8000.  It seems the more I use Rose’s books the more precise I want to be about the baking process.  Call me obsessed.  cheese

Posted: 23 February 2010 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Liza I have found that Thermaworks makers of the Thermapen has an oven thermometer - not sure how accurate it is at $4!

Just about every thing nowadays is of course made in China!

You will find it hidden under other dial thermometers on their site which focuses on their more sophisticated digital thermometers

Thermaworks is an excellent company to deal with - I have had 5 star service from them.

They shipped all my orders to Africa - no problem and it took less than 10 days!

Hector recommends the Dot 2 which I am sure is excellent. His advice has been most useful to me. Unfortunately I have been unable to order it offshore.