Practice Buttercream
Posted: 20 February 2010 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27

I made the recipe from The Cake Bible, but found it much stiffer than real buttercream and the stream tended to break, rather than trail off gently.  I even doubled the water and corn syrup with no real improvement.  It was hard to force out the tube and I actually burst the plastic bag a couple of times.  Is this the way it’s supposed to be?  Garrett’s book gives one that contains Meringue powder, which I may try next to see if it behaves better.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 20 February 2010 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Made it a few years ago—still in the back of the fridge. I think I remember it being pretty stiff too, but like real buttercream, faster to pipe when warmer.  I wonder if cold temps are making it worse for you.

Posted: 21 February 2010 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

When I was making practice buttercream for the wilton decorating classes I did a few years ago they made us make stiff, medium and thin consistencies for icing.
For roses, we used the stiff consistency.  Sometimes I found that I had to add more liquid than what was called for to make it flow better.  Even though you doubled the water and corn syrup, I don’t think it would hurt to add more until the consistency flowed comfortable for you.  We also added meringue powder so that the buttercream would crust over.  And it definitely needs to be a room temp to flow properly.

This icing that we made contained icing sugar, shortening, butter, vanilla and milk.  Which we also had to use to fill and frost the cakes.  This was before I discovered Rose’s buttercream recipes.  I could not imagine covering a cake with wilton’s icing now.

Posted: 21 February 2010 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Matthew - 21 February 2010 03:41 AM

I wonder if cold temps are making it worse for you.

It’s toasty warm in my house. wink  The worst part of this formula is that the stuff gets everywhere and it’s hard to clean.  It doesn’t just dissolve as easily as a real buttercream.  I can’t imagine eating it, yuck.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 21 February 2010 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Liza - 21 February 2010 02:40 PM

Sometimes I found that I had to add more liquid than what was called for to make it flow better.  Even though you doubled the water and corn syrup, I don’t think it would hurt to add more until the consistency flowed comfortable for you.

I wasn’t quite sure what I needed more of; Rose had something to the effect that it was corn syrup that provided the stretchiness and I certainly needed more of that.  I’m just also surprised that Rose’s formula didn’t work well.  The formula in Garrett’s book is very similar (no corn syrup, though), but she says to beat it as long as 12 minutes.  Maybe this is where I went wrong?  I only did it for a few minutes until it was smooth and creamy.  But surely Rose would have written that if it were critical.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach