swedish pear and almond cream cake - urgent pls
Posted: 21 February 2010 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

I decided to give this a try, already mixed the dry ingredients, but, oh my, I have no butter!!!! I have some noisette butter in the fridge, the recipe calls for 170 g butter, can I substitute with the noisette?????

Posted: 21 February 2010 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I think that the butterfat content of noisette is higher than regular butter so you would need to adjust for that. I also think that once butter is melted and cooled it behaves differently in a cake so I would be wary of trying it. I would just wait until I could buy butter, the flour mixture should keep with no problems.
Gook Luck

Jan

Posted: 21 February 2010 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

....too late…....
I made it using exactly the same amount of noisette, knowing the differences. So the cake is now baked and “tested”, Very pleasant flavor, although the pears would not sink all the way to the bottom of the pan, the crust is quite crispy and the interioir is very moist, I’d say delicious! I post pics, where you may see the slight color difference in the batter. I will also try it with butter, to see the difference….. smile

Image Attachments
210210e.jpg210210.jpg

Posted: 21 February 2010 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  59
Joined  2007-11-17

I am so glad it worked for you! Your cake looks beautiful. I bet the flavour of noisette was really good. It tastes so good in other recipes so why not this one..

Take care,

Jan

Posted: 21 February 2010 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

So glad that worked out for you, Maghina!  I don’t think the pears are meant to sink all the way to the bottom, just most of the way.  Yours look just about right.

Clarified or browned butter has all the water removed, so a place to start when making a substitution is to use 80% buerre noisette and 20% milk or water (by weight).  As jan mentions, melted butter acts differently in a cake than unmelted, so that may have an effect as well.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 21 February 2010 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-11-23

Thank you Julie, this is interesting info! I wonder if the pear slices had to be put upright into the batter, I put them flat…...anyway curious to try it with butter! wink