Sculpting Miniature Figures for Cake
Posted: 23 February 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-02-18

I’m working on a birthday cake for my son. I’m trying to create some small figures (very similar to LEGO minifigs) to place on his cake. I’m able to create these with modeling clay, but obviously, I don’t want to put modeling clay on the cake. I’ve tried a few recipes and they were either too dry or too soft. Does anyone have a recipe for an edible substance that I can sculpt?

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
http://betweenthepagesblog.typepad.com/

Between the Pages
Blogging about everything cookbooks leave out

Posted: 23 February 2010 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  597
Joined  2007-11-27

modeling chocolate would be the best medium to use; the recipe I use comes from Mike McCarey and is 2# of white chocolate chips and 1 cup of white corn syrup.  It’s best to do this in a clean plastic bowl and use a non-stick spatula to stir.

Gently melt the white chocolate chips, if you scorch them, you can’t use them.  When they are melted and smooth, heat the corn syrup and while still warm, add the corn syrup all at once to the melted chocolate and stir until combined (don’t over stir or over mix)  Pour (scoop) the mixture out onto a sheet pan lined with plastic wrap and chill until set.  Knead it for a minute or two, then wrap well in plastic wrap and store in a ziploc bag.  Use powdered color or candy color to color it.  You can also add color to the corn syrup but your whole batch will be that color….

I like to make it the day before I need it.

If it is oozing, it means there’s too much corn syrup in the chocolate or it’s overheated.  Once the mass is overheated you can’t work with it any more.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 23 February 2010 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

“The Cake Bible” has recipes for fondant, pastillage, and marzipan. All three of those substances will work as a sculpting medium.