Tropical Baking - Cream Cheese Frosting
Posted: 23 February 2010 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-02-23

Hi - I’m a New Yorker who has been baking for the last few months in the tropics. I had no idea how different it would be. My latest problem is cream cheese frosting on cupcakes. Can anyone suggest a way to keep it from melting? I’m trying to keep things as natural as possible but have had to add an Australian shortening to the butter in frostings. I heard somewhere that meringue powder could help with cream cheese but don’t know anything more. Any suggestions about baking in extreme heat are welcome but help with cream cheese would be great. Thanks.

Posted: 23 February 2010 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-06-03

I think you are going to have to change from the cream cheese. It isn’t really a temperature stable frosting until you have put so much powdered sugar into it you can’t even taste the cream cheese anymore. I only use it when I know the item will be consumed right away or by request. I could be wrong and I know someone will chime in with more useful information.

Posted: 23 February 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-23

Thanks. I don’t know what else to use and cream cheese is so perfect with so many cupcakes, esp carrot and red velvet. Though even adding the shortening to the butter doesn’t change the melting with this one.

Posted: 23 February 2010 11:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-06-03
Balilinda - 24 February 2010 03:35 AM

Thanks. I don’t know what else to use and cream cheese is so perfect with so many cupcakes, esp carrot and red velvet. Though even adding the shortening to the butter doesn’t change the melting with this one.

I know I am on my own with this one but I love red velvet with a dulce le leche buttercream, or even caramel as well as ganache or some chocolate frostings. The carrot cake is a toughie I really can not think of a flavor I would substitute. Hmm time to think about this.

Posted: 24 February 2010 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Have you got a copy of “The Cake Bible”? Rose gives pointers on which buttercreams are fairly stable in heat. For example, Mousseline Buttercream on p. 244 worked for me during a hot Los Angeles September birthday party. I also used it for my sister’s wedding, when I was in a 90-degree humid kitchen, assembling the wedding cake. Also try Rose’s White Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream on p. 237, reducing the amount of butter down to 2 ounces.

Posted: 24 February 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Do try the white chocolate cream cheese frosting from cake bible or rhc.  Use a white chocolate containing a big amount of cocoa butter, also avoid melting it past the temper point.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 24 February 2010 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-23

Thanks - no - I don’t have the book yet. I’ve been reading about it on the site and on Amazon. I was interested in that buttercream but it’s too tricky - I’m teaching young women to do all of this and they don’t really bake like we do in the west so it’s even trickier. Has anyone heard of using meringue powder to keep cream cheese from melting?

Posted: 24 February 2010 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-23

Thanks - I’ll definitely get the book and try it.

Posted: 25 February 2010 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-01-01

I like to make a modified cream cheese frosting by starting with an old-fashioned XXXsugar vanilla butter cream and adding cream cheese and a bit of sour cream to that.  The ratio is 1/2 butter cream 1/2 cream cheese.
I use a recipe from “Whimsical Bakehouse” where you put the XXX sugar in a mixer and pour in boiling water.  This melts the sugar and gets rid of the powdered taste.  Then you add some butter and some shortening (I use a 2 - 1 ratio for these) and lots of good vanilla.  You whip it a long time until it is extremely smooth and light textured.  Far superior to the staight XXXsugar/butter type and very stable.

Add room temperature cream cheese to this and a good dollop of sour cream to increase the tangy taste.  It is very good, not overly sweet because so the sour cream.

Posted: 26 February 2010 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The creamcheese frosting in the cake bible, if you decrease the butter, apparently holds quite well in warm weather…there is something mentioned about it in the book.  The white chocolate definitely helps keep it stable.

Posted: 26 February 2010 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1211
Joined  2009-11-24

For a flavor with carrot cake other than cream cheese, I would consider orange in a meringue frosting.  I tried meringue powder in cream cheese frosting once.  I did not like it.  Just not as smooth as I wanted.  Perhaps I did not use it correctly.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 February 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-23

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. What a great website.

If anyone has any info on tropical baking at any time I’d really appreciate it.

Linda

Posted: 03 October 2011 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2011-03-06

if frosting cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting do the cupcakes have to stay in the fridge overnight?

Posted: 03 October 2011 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I would think so.  You can always frost them the day of, if you don’t want to refrigerate the cuppies, but I wouldn’t think you’d want the cream cheese at room temp over 12 hours, or thereabouts.  Others may have more experience here, though.