I just want to let you know…....
Posted: 25 February 2010 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

As a soapmaker, I purchased for a few bucks some time ago a small software, called soapmaker, where you input ingredients with prices and units, and you may save recipes with these ingredients. It gives you percentages for each ingredients and you may switch through different weighing systems, you may scale the recipe and so on….. I thought that if it can be done with soaping ingredients, why not trying with cakes? It’s quite useful if you want to price your cake or if you wish to scale up or down: I enclose a screenshot, so that you may have an idea.
Hope this may help….. smile

Another thing I learned, and may be useful for who, like me has not chances to get the non stick spray, is this simple formula I found in internet, I’ve been using it for a while now and works wonders with bundt pans, while for regular 9 inch pans I also put a little flour:
The recipe is equal parts of crisco, vegetavle oil and flour, beaten in the KA until soft and fluffy. It can be stored “forever” in a glass jar. I use a brush to “paint” the pans, lol!

Image Attachments
soap-maker.jpg

Posted: 25 February 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Thanks…that program looks very interesting. I have to check it out.

Posted: 25 February 2010 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-02-23

i like the flour/shortning/oil idea. I really don’t like to breathe in the fumes from the spray can..

Posted: 25 February 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1184
Joined  2009-11-24

yes, the software does look interesting.  Thank you for sharing.  Re: the pan grease method, the result sound similar to something Wilton and other cake supply store sell.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 26 February 2010 01:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

Good tip! I don’t like the sprays either!

Posted: 26 February 2010 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2010-01-16

I also use the oil/shortening/flour mixture and find that it works very well.  I store my extra mixture in the refrigerator and stir it well before using again.

Posted: 26 February 2010 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

I’m glad I could be of help to somebody, instead of asking for help all the time, lol!
And the little software avoids time consuming calculations, for maths impaired like me! smile I have also to experiment the resize feature, as it allows it to insert “molds” and fit mixture into it!