Cake resizing Question
Posted: 27 February 2010 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2010-01-31

I am making a quickie birthday cake.  I would love to try either the White Velvet Butter Cake, or the White Chocolate Whisper cake.  My question lies in resizing from the 9X2 to either a 10X2 or a 12X2.  I am feeding at least 40 people.  I know that the 12X2 will be over kill, but these folks don’t cut a “party sized” piece of cake.  Can I use the charts in TCB multiplied by the RF for the appropriate size and be doing the right thing for either of these cakes?  Any input will be appreciated!

Posted: 27 February 2010 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24

Cyndy,

It appears that the White Base Cake on p. 491 of TCB is the same as White Velvet Butter Cake.  So, for that, yes you can use the RF chart to make this cake for whichever size.  I am not certain what math formula to use to increase the size of the White Chocolate Whisper. 

CRenee

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 27 February 2010 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Cyndy, To convert from the 9” pans to the 10”, you need to multiply the recipe by 1.23 and for the 12”, multiply by 1.78.  I believe you need a little less baking powder that the 1.78 times for the 12”, maybe one of the BP experts will chip in with the correct amount.

Posted: 28 February 2010 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

cyndy, you can use the RF factor and info in the back of the book for the white velvet, no problem.  The white whisper cake uses more bp in its base formula, and so is more complicated.  If you can confirm that you want to make the white choc whisper and which pan size you are going to use, I’ll try to help with the bp.  It may not be perfect, though, Rose and Matthew both say that theory and calculations will only get you so far, often a test cake is necessary to refine the result.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 March 2010 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

If you decide to make the white velvet cake, Rose notes on page 483 that a single 12-inch layer is just the right size for 40 servings. You’d make the white cake base on p 491, multiplying ingredients by 3.5. The baking powder chart is on the next page. Multiply the level 3 amount - teaspoons, ounces or grams, whichever you prefer to work in - also by 3.5.

I made the white chocolate whisper cake a couple of times in the single layer 12” size. It was years ago, and I didn’t know enough then to worry about the baking powder. Dumb luck but I just baked the full amount of the recipe from p 50 in a single 12” pan. No problem! I got intrigued and did the calculations just now to figure out why. You increase the bp to take it to a 2” high pan, and then decrease it to go to the larger diameter. Bottom line, it stays the same! The other ingredients could be increased slightly, but the recipe works just the way it is for a single 12” layer. I used it to make a larger version of Blueberry Swan Lake, p 165. A huge hit!

Posted: 07 March 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1179
Joined  2009-11-24
vagalrob - 07 March 2010 08:32 PM

There is a website that will do the calculations and scale cakes up or down for you - http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/makeconversion.php

A great help.

Thank you for sharing.  It seems to work well.  I found this link works better.

http://www.fruitfromwashington.com/Recipes/scale/recipeconversions.php

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.