2 of 6
March Bake-off
Posted: 01 March 2010 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

CRenee - Thanks! Yes I will do lattice band more often now. Now I even think I want to tackle the chocolate band again (failed miserably previously) grin.
Julie - I did run a spatula around the sides of the pan. The silicone strips are supposed to make the cake baked evenly, and prevent too brown of a crust right? But the cake has such a brown and hard crust - as if it didn’t use any cake strips. When I did the test cake last week, I use the wilton strips and get similar results as well.
Thanks Jeanette!  red face
My OH thinks I’m crazy to spend this much time in the kitchen,  smile. Someone at the party was wondering how stores can make money to sell cakes for $9. I told him they probably use cake mixes. Otherwise, how can they make money if it takes several hours to make and decorate a cake - unless once you’re a professional cake maker, it takes mere minutes to do piping?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 01 March 2010 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

Silke, I’m sorry I missed you out in compliments!  I think YOUR cake is lovely too, and I am especially interested in your lemon rose as I am planning on doing one shortly to decorate a cake of mine.  Did you find it easy?  Yours looks very good, I hope I can accomplish something of equal merit, I am not really very practiced with this sort of decoration.  Well, if you don’t try, you don’t succeed, do you?  I love your chocolate lattice band too, but I know I couldn’t do anything so delicate as that!  Clever you!  Oh, by the way, I am also having a kitchen makeover soon, wink  so we have something else in common!  (beside the lemon rose!)

Posted: 01 March 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

I had PM Carol and she suggested to post on the forum - so I copied and paste the conversation here. Not sure if this belong in the March Bake Off thread, so feel free to move it to somewhere else if needed grin.

Jenn’s message to Carol:
Carol,
I want to let you know that I made the Golden Luxury cake this weekend. I decided to use the 9 x 1.5 inch pan because we would have more than enough cake. I did the bp adjustment and add 4 tsp of milk. It baked evenly (flat top) and turned out beautiful. There is 1 problem though, when unmolding some of the crust stuck to the sides of the pan so the sides of the cake is not smooth. I posted under the March Bake Off and has a picture of the cake after unmolding. I can?t figure out what happened. Oven temp was good, all the ingredients are correct (I double check). I used Rose?s silicone strips. Can you help me investigate? Thanks, Jenn

Carol’s response to Jenn:
I think the problem is not enough liquid, Jenn. Will give you the details here, but I think it would be great to post to the forum too - which you can or I?ll do with your permission - so that everybody learns from your experience.

Again, I?m no expert on high altitude baking! But here?s the math: The adjustment for altitude according to the USDA chart p 435 RHC is 2 to 4 TABLEspoons per cup of liquid - not tsp. Between the eggs and the milk, there?s almost 1 1/2 cups of liquid in the Golden Luxury cake. So the range for the amount of liquid to add at your altitude would be 1.5x the 2 to 4 Tbsp. In other words, 3 to 6 Tbsp.

Re: the baking powder, did you use 3 3/8 tsp? The range for 5000 feet is to decrease 1/8 to 1/4 tsp PER tsp used. The original recipe uses 4 1/2 tsp so that would be 4.5x the fractions, and then subtract the result from the original amount. In other words, use 4 tsp to 3 3/8 tsp. I had suggested using 3 3/8 tsp because Denver is just a bit above 5000 feet.

Jenn’s response to Carol:
Thanks Carol! I did use 3 3/8 tsp of bp, but only added 4 extra Tbps. of milk. I didn’t count the eggs as liquid, only the milk. It might be not enough liquid then. Hm… further testing is needed to determine - which means I should make this cake again cheese.

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2010 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks so much Jeanette!

jeannette - 01 March 2010 04:47 PM

I am especially interested in your lemon rose as I am planning on doing one shortly to decorate a cake of mine.  Did you find it easy?

Yes, it was actually very easy I thought. I started on the end with the little bump, and then cut my way around it. The syrup part is very straight forward (put it in and leave it overnight), and then I started wrapping it up. I was a bit disappointed because it looked kind of funky when it was almost done, but then I realized that I was holding it upside down, or, more clearly, the way I built it I built it upside down. The other side looked very pretty, and it rested well on the little bump. I did it last minute, so it got the corn syrup coats by I didn’t let it dry for 12 hours - 6 hours max. Looked pretty anyways. It’s really easy, it just looks intimidating, which is why it took me half a year and staring at dozens of lemons before I tried it!

I love your chocolate lattice band too, but I know I couldn’t do anything so delicate as that!

Hah - yes, you can! It’s just scribble that poured out of the cone. No special decorative skills required!

Oh, by the way, I am also having a kitchen makeover soon, wink  so we have something else in common!

I feel like an ostrich, I’ll just stick my head in the sand and don’t think about the mess. We’ll leave for China next week, and after that will mostly hide out in our cabin in Tahoe. It’ll be good when it’s done!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 01 March 2010 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Jeannette - the hardest part about the lemon rose is peeling it.

Silke - 01 March 2010 05:48 PM

I feel like an ostrich, I’ll just stick my head in the sand and don’t think about the mess. We’ll leave for China next week, and after that will mostly hide out in our cabin in Tahoe. It’ll be good when it’s done!

I was wondering how you were gonna survive sans kitchen, good that you have a cabin to go too. So what happens with the 100 eggs while you’re in Tahoe?

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2010 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

100 dozen eggs, Jenn! It’s an egg share, so I’m taking them over a year and a bit. Not so bad.

I feel very lucky having the place in Tahoe, and having a job that allows me from working everywhere where I have a phone and internet.

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2010 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Silke and Jenn, your cakes are stunning! Really beautiful.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 02 March 2010 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Silke, adorable, elegant, and exquisitelly refined!  Also, what high level of techique!  I love the design, but how about scattering the kumquats and peel roses or group in clusters for a more random or nature forest look which I think is the show of your take!

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 02 March 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks so much Hector and Rozanne! Gotta confess that I just wiggled the wiggles to make the frilly border of the top cake. The design part mainly consisted of ensuring that it has enough stability and I don’t have loops standing up by themselves red face

Great idea regarding scattering the kumquats. I was very unhappy with the look of the kumquats on the plate, they were more an afterthought than anything. Keep the suggestions for improvement coming! Their real wedding cake will have berries on it, since it’s a summer wedding. I’m figuring the chocolate oblivion layers will have raspberries and a dark chocolate band, and the cheesecake layers will have blueberries and a white chocolate band.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

The wedding cake sounds incredible, Silke.  How many layers are you making?

Posted: 02 March 2010 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Isn’t March supposed to come in like a lion? Instead it came in with waves and more waves of creativity. I am so far behind!!! But I’ve been reading all along, and eating everything with my eyes. smile Great baking!

Posted: 02 March 2010 05:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Carolite - you brought February to a worthy finale! Looking forward to your challenge!

Annie - I will have to do the math. It’ll need to feed 80 people, though there will be other cakes as well. I was thinking 4 layers but 4 is an unlucky number in China if I remember right. Nobody in the wedding is Chinese, but I don’t want to jinx anything. The bride would be elated if I made 5 layers so perhaps I’ll do that. It’s not really more work, just more pans, just have to make sure my structural engineering can take it grin

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Silke - you’re correct. Four is a very bad number in China because when you pronounce it, it sounds very similar to the word: death. Another unlucky number is 10, the pronounciation also sounds similar to death.

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2010 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Wasn’t planning on doing 10 layers, anyways oh oh  I’m leaving that to the ladies in the south!

Signature 

Posted: 18 March 2010 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

I wasn’t sure I’d get a March bake off in, but I did! We missed my mother in laws 85th birthday since we were flying out to see her one month later, but I thought we could still ‘celebrate’ with a cake and it can combine with this months Bake Off.
Since this wedding cake practice for me is still a challenge, I figured I’d do one of those practice cakes and add a bit more into it. I have never worked with fondant before, let alone make my own, but with Rose’s wonderful directions in TCB I was able to do it! So I have really pushed myself, with only 10 days home in March, just baking anything was difficult, baking decorating the practice wedding cakes, is getting easier but still a challenge, and now doing fondant! Whew.
Here is the cake that will bring a further challenge as I have to get it over 2000 miles and 3 different plane rides.

Image Attachments
webcake1.jpgwebcake2.jpg
 Signature 

Linda R.

2 of 6