Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

A beautiful cake,MM!

Posted: 18 March 2010 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

Linda, The cake is pretty.  The rose are really nice.  Did you say Fondant?  Is that poured fondant?  What are the flavors?  I would be really interested to hear you transported this cake on the plane….

I have traveled from Maryland, USA to Bangkok with a cake in my luggage ... (frozen) it was not frosted though..  By the time I arrived it was still cool but thawed.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 19 March 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

MM, what a beautiful cake!  I love your roses and the style of the lettering.  What were the components/flavors?  The buttercream looks like it has fruit in it, yum. 

Hope you’ll report back and let us know if the cake made it through all that travel.

Happy Birthday to your M-I-L!  Bet she’s going to love her cake.

I think the wedding cake is going to be wonderful, based on your work thus far.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 19 March 2010 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Beautiful cake! Love the design especially the flowers. Yes do share what it is? Is it the poured fondant?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 21 March 2010 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Beautiful cake, Linda. Can’t believe you dare taking it on a plane, let alone 3 different ones. Let us know how it worked out. Also great job on the flowers. Can’t believe those were your first ones!

And could somebody send me a slice of cake - I’m in China for another week, and could use a bit of a nice baking item…. And I can reciprocate - we took a cooking class now so I can make you very nice little egg dumplings now - ground flavored meat wrapped up in mini-omelettes. Yum!

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 28 March 2010 12:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

It is still March.. My biggest challenge was deciding what to do.  Rolled Chocolate Fondant or Lattice Band.  I opted for the Rolled Chocolate Fondnat… half recipe from TCB.  Since my to do list includes comparing chocolate cakes, that was tough too…but I went with a recipe I have been using before but recently converted to 6x2 from 8 x 1.5 (thanks to threads on this forum).  I needed to do that again.  Also, since joining this forum, I am using Rose’s ganache.  I wanted to do that again…especially since I finally purchased some Callebaut.  I also wanted to practice again the lacquer glaze. 

I was definitely challenged by the rolled chocolate fondant… and found the lacquer glaze did not lacquer as it did the first two times I have made it…  I guess that is why I practice and practice…. to get mistakes out of the way.  I did get the ganache very smooth but forgot to photograph that. 

You can see my trouble with the fondant.  I will need to do it again at some point to find my mistake.

Image Attachments
DSC_0022.jpgDSC_0033.jpg
 Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 28 March 2010 02:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Love the slick decor! It looks so modern! So how was the chocolate cake? Which one did you make?
Sorry I’m no help on the fondant (though all but the rose on the left looks perfect to me), I’m too chicken to try it grin

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2010 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

CR, I’m with Silke, I like the modern style and I think it’s great that you did the chocolate fondant!  The fondant in the photo looks nice, glossy and smooth- what didn’t you like about it?

Is this the deep chocolate passion?  Or a non-Rose cake?  The texture looks like one of the cakes that is syruped with ganache, yum.

And congratulations on challenging yourself!

I have my challenge project planned for the next few days, hopefully I’ll make it before the end of the month…

Signature 

Posted: 28 March 2010 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

CRenee, your cake looks great. Don’t be so hard on yourself. What didn’t work out for you with the fondant? As Julie mentioned, it looks great.

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 March 2010 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2007-11-15

When I saw the Golden Dream Wedding cake in RHC and saw that Rose had made it for a wedding dated the 28th of March I thought what a coincidence!  Because I got married on the 29th of March, 50 years ago !  So that became my challenge for this month as I have never made a stacked cake before and i can tell you now I don’t think I will ever make one again!!!!  Making the cake was no challenge really and I was able to make it a couple of weeks ago and freeze the layers.  The big challenge for me was making the buttercream and actually applying it to the cake, very frustrating!  Again there were no problems with the buttercream, I just followed Rose’s explicit instructions but I should have practised applying it to the cake as I am not good at that, I just could not get it smooth as it shows it in the book, so I resorted to using an icing comb in the end and even then I didn’t make such a good job of it.  But the one thing I was pleased with was the lemon rose!  That looks lovely and everyone who’s seen it have remarked on it favourably.
What I have learned from this challenge is that all you who do such lovely work with cakes as I have seen on this forum are to be applauded, and those who do stacked cakes and transport them to venues are WONDERPEOPLE!
I am including a picture of my cake but please don’t scrutinize it too closely, it is my effort for this month’s challenge, I hope it is acceptable as such.

Image Attachments
phpc0uV5TAM.jpg

Posted: 29 March 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette, Happy Anniversary!!!  What a beautiful milestone, your golden wedding anniversary!

The cake is just gorgeous, you’re selling yourself short to say anything otherwise.  Ribbons, lemon roses, piped borders, and stacking, you did it all! 

How did you like the lemon-almond cake?

And did you have to transport the cake?

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2010 12:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

50 years? Congratulations! That’s something not many people get to, I hope you enjoyed most if not all of them!

I second Julie, the cake looks beautiful, you did very well in rising to the challenge!

Regarding transport - I try to not transport stacked cakes but stack at the venue. And try not to look when the hotel people move the cake - LOL!

How is the kitchen coming along? Seems that you’re back in business again!

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2010 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1429
Joined  2007-11-18

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary Jeannette! Your cake is gorgeous. Great job!  smile

Signature 

http://heavenlycakesenjoyedonearth.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 March 2010 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Jeannette, happy golden anniversary! Congratulations on the marriage and the wonderful cake. I echo everyone that you are selling yourself short. The cake looks gorgeous. It is quite a feat to do all this. Did you like the taste of the cake?

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2010 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

CRenee, I haven’t commented on your cake. I think it looks beautiful. I like the design and I think you did a good job with the fondant. Looks so smooth.

Signature 

3 of 6