5 of 6
March Bake-off
Posted: 03 April 2010 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

First, all the posts and beautiful work everyone has done is always an inspiration, thank you for sharing, I wish I could taste them all, they look sooo good.

Second, thank you for all your compliments.  The fondant I made (CRenee) was rolled fondant from TCB, it tastes just like I would imagine a good fondant to taste, all sweet and almondy!  It was yummy.  My daughter who has constantly said she doesn’t like fondant couldn’t stop eating it!!  The cake was the Golden Dream Wedding Cake recipe from RHC’s.  It is one of the cakes I will be making for my daughters wedding and wanted to try it with a mousseline frosting.  The frosting was the mousseline with white chocolate and lemon curd added.  For the filling I made the same frosting, but only used the lemon curd to make it more lemony.  It was perfect, and my petite tine mother in law who only eats ‘tastes’ of sweets, not only kept eating it, she ate it for breakfast, as a snack during the day, and for dessert at night!!!  LOL, I wanted to bring most of it to my sister in laws house since she has a larger household, and my mother in law said no and took half of it for her and her husband!!!

Third, the frosting DID NOT survive the flight.  We checked it after the first two flights, and it was fine, looked perfect!  The third flight, a three hour flight was the one that it did not survive.  I thought at first it ‘melted’ the frosting, but we were able to use a knife and bring the frosting up the sides, so my conclusion is the vibration of the plane literally shook the frosting right off!  It was a mess, but tasted wonderful.

Image Attachments
webcake.jpg
 Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 03 April 2010 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Oh no! I’m so sorry for what happened to the cake Linda. Was the 3rd flight pretty bumpy? You are probably right that it was the movement, if it had survived the first 2 flights, why not the 3rd that’s only a few hours. So brave of you to share the pictures. And I can see the cake is indeed beautiful. Love those pink roses! They look so perfect!
What a funny story with your MIL. That shows how good Rose’s recipes are.
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 April 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  163
Joined  2009-12-05

Thank you Jenn.

It wasn’t a particularly rough flight, but I commented to my husband how the plane ‘vibrated’ alot.  We fly often, and I’ve noticed sometimes with the older planes they seem to vibrate more, and this was three hours of vibration.  I would try this again, but either frost the cake when I arrived, or hold it on my lap when we weren’t in the take off or landing situations. 

My reason for wanting the cake ready is because I had a limited time frame with the family in Miami before we were heading a little further south to visit family in Cuba.  I would have loved to bring a cake down there because in Cuba you do not see many pastries at all, other than flan.  Flours and milk products are very scarce.  You can find evaporated and condensed milk, and most people use powdered milk.

Signature 

Linda R.

Posted: 03 April 2010 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2009-11-23

Jeannette, your cake looks truly gorgeous, congrats for your good job!!!!

Posted: 03 April 2010 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Thank you , Maghina! grin

Posted: 03 April 2010 08:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Better late than never…

Admittedly, I was cutting it close this month, planning to post on the last day.  Then I threw my back out, and wasn’t able to do much for a few days.  Am doing much better now, so here are my barquettes from the Cake Bible.  My challenge was learning to work with nougatine- I enjoy working with sugar and was looking forward to it.  The second part of the challenge was all that little piping, which is not one of my strengths. 

I have lots of notes on the nougatine, it definitely took some practice, but in the end it mostly comes down to temperature.  If the nougatine won’t roll thinly enough or isn’t workable, it’s too cool.  If it sticks, it’s too hot (unless you forget to oil something).  Times for the oven (to bring it to the right temp) range from 1-3 minutes, no more or it darkens too much/burns (the voice of experience).

After the nougatine base, these have a rum syruped biscuit de savoie (I updated this with the wondra biscuit in RHC- lemon meringue cake), topped by neoclassic buttercream, which I also updated with the Lyle’s syrup version with the RHC pistachio cake.  I have to say that the Lyle’s neoclassic is to die for, I’m already looking for an excuse to use it again.  Last is dark ganache on top. 

These are very, very delicious, and the mix of textures is wonderful.  The nougatine is crunchy but isn’t too hard, because of the controlled crystalization and the nuts.  I’m very happy with them and glad I made them.

Image Attachments
thin nougatine.jpgfilled barquette shells.jpgbarquettes.jpgbarquettes 2.jpg
 Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 03 April 2010 08:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Here’s a pic of the barquette interior after a bite (yum).  It wouldn’t fit with the photos above.

I also tried quick-tempered chocolate curls/cigarettes for the first time.  I was happy with them, the rough edges come from not scoring the strips of chocolate before scraping the curls.  My daughter used them to decorate her father’s birthday cake, genoise au chocolate with grand marnier syrup and light whipped ganache with grand marnier (his request).

Image Attachments
barq interior.jpgCurls.jpgGr Marnier Genoise.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 03 April 2010 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Julie - they look absolutely gorgeous and yummy! Look super professional, like it came from a very fancy bakery. Great job on the piping too, looks perfect. I have never had this before, wonder what the taste is like, can you elaborate more? Also, you have a mold for the shape right? If I remember correctly from previous postings. Thanks also for sharing the process photos.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 April 2010 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, thanks for the kind words! 

Yes, I have the little shaped pans, which I used for both shaping the nougatine and baking the biscuit de savoie.  The flavor is a mix of rum cake, chocolate ganache, butter and toasted almond nut brittle.  I like it very, very much.  It is difficult to refrain from eating the nougatine scraps (fortunately, my daughter took care of most of them).

MM, I’m so sorry your cake didn’t make it thought the last flight!  Glad you were able to repair it and that you and your MIL enjoyed it.

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2010 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1175
Joined  2009-11-24

Thanks MM, for the update on the cake and the details on the components.  I think considering the length of time flying…the damage could have been much worse. 

Julie, How very impressive!!! And, chocolate curls also.  Did you or your daughter make your husband’s cake.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 05 April 2010 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  767
Joined  2007-11-15

Julie , I think your barquettes are GORGEOUS!  They look as good as those pictured in the book, so professional, I would love a nibble on one! tongue rolleye

Posted: 05 April 2010 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Jeanette and Cynthia, thanks so much!  I made the chocolate grand marnier cake, my daughter likes kitchen projects but isn’t quite ready for genoise yet (she just turned nine)!

Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2010 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Wow Julie, it looks like you pulled those barquettes straight out of the cake bible, great work! I’ve always wanted to make these, and I keep seeing the molds for them in Sur la Table—how many molds did you use/need?

Posted: 05 April 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Thank you so much, Matthew- I’ve always wanted to make these, too, ever since I first received the Cake Bible.  I love the boat shape, perhaps because I come from a family of sailors and fishermen.

Here’s a pic of my molds.  You could get away with only one mold, but 3-4 would make the nougatine shaping go faster as you could shape several at once.  I used twelve, because I wanted to bake the biscuit in the molds instead of cutting shapes out of a sheet.  That worked incredibly well, and hopefully allowed me to end up with a little more cake and a little less buttercream in the final product (which was my goal). 

I used the biscuit de savoie in RHC (Wondra), and I estimate that a 2-egg batch would be enough for twelve barquettes (I made a four-egg batch and had enough left over for an 8” round layer).  Each barquette takes about 1.5-2 tsp of rum syrup.  I filled them 2/3 full and they were done in about 15-17 minutes. 

The other cake I’ve baked in these is the Gateau Breton, with rum-laced light whipped ganache and a toasted almond (second pic).

Image Attachments
Video 5 0 00 34-05.jpgBreton Barquettes.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 05 April 2010 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

Do you think it would be worth it to pay more for the non-stick variety? Oh, and what size did you buy?

5 of 6