Making icing with butter that works and does not separate - Help
Posted: 28 February 2010 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-02-28

Hello,

I bake a lot, have a baking website, but I cannot get one thing straight since years - icing with butter.  Once I mix the butter with the flour-milk mixture (French buttercream icing) the butter separates and the icing does not look good anymore.  I end up sprinkling the cake with grounded nuts or chocolate.  This happens also with other cr?mes, once I add just a bit of taste to the butter mixture, bam, it separates.  I also really pay attention to the temperatures - I cool off the cooked mixtures, take out the butter from the fridge early, what am I doing wrong?  Help?
Thank you for any insight,

Barbara from http://www.homemade-cake-recipe.com
confused

Signature 

Get great recipes ideas at Homemade Cake Recipe

Posted: 01 March 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

Thanks
So what kind of butter should I use?  The butter here has 82% fat, is that too little or too much?
Did you ever made a cream where in the begingin you have to whipp egg yolks with sugar on a steam bath?  That also never came out right.  The eggs always separated ( there was some liquid on the bottom).  Ok, let me know if you can if that 82% fat content is alright.
Thank you,
Barbara

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2010 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

Thanks,
I ordered the book on Amazon, should get it tomorrow.  Any other cream that works is better than what I tried.  Will make sure to take out the butter super early next time.  I hope that it works next time.
Barbara

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

So how much fat content does standard American butter have?

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2010 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

No, this recipe had only 1 cup of milk, 5 tablespoons of flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup butter, a 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.  I was supposed to cook the milk on low heat, add flour, cook until thick, cool off.  Cream the butter, add sugar, add the flour milk mixture, and ready.  The butter separated, I ended up making a cream cheese frosting which worked fine. 
This was a new recipe that I wanted to try out, I tried before one with 2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons of flour, cup of water, cup of sugar 3/4 cup of butter, juice from 1/2 lemon and couple spoons of cognac.  Same thing, cook the water with flour, sugar, and yolks, cool off, add to creamed butter.  The butter separated, and after couple of times I gave up.  I stopped making cream altogether, and now wanted to ask some experts as for me baking is just a hobby.

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2010 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

Got the book today (Cake Bible), now I just need a peaceful evening to look through it and start reading the baking tips.  yey

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2010 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  162
Joined  2009-04-24

I have made “roux-based” buttercream several times.  The “Baked” book (by the guys who own the bakery in NY) uses mainly this type of buttercream.  There is no egg.  It’s made by cooking the milk flour and sugar on stove-top for about 20 minutes.  Then you beat the mixture until it has cooled down.  Then proceed with adding butter a little at a time.

The first time I made it, I failed miserably.  I think the problem was that I didn’t let the flour/milk/sugar mixture cool down enough.  The butter also needs to be at room-temperature (still cool but squishy).  So as far as I know, those are the 2 key things that I changed that improved the results.  I’ve never experienced any weeping.  I have even frozen this buttercream and re-used it afterwards without any problem.

The recipe contains no eggs.  And the book says that cakes frosted with it can be left at room-temperature for 2-3 days.  It’s a good option to use when the cake needs to be at room temp for a long time.

There’s a variation to add melted white chocolate after the buttercream is completed.  I have used it a few times and have received good feedback with it.

Jess

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

I did cool it down, I just think that I am cursed when it comes to making butter icing.  I guess I need to try again.  I will take the butter from the fridge in the morning, make the flour blop in the morning and make the cream in the afternoon.  I’ll see if that helps.  Will come back here and post results.  Thanks for all your support.  Project for tomorrow…

Signature 

Posted: 03 March 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

That milk/flour recipe comes from a red velvet cake recipe that I wanted to post on my website.  I had to try it out before, well the cake was ok, but not the frosting.  As I never had any luck with that type of frosting I asked you to help. 
I guess I will stick to the basic buttercream frosting which does not call for a flour/milk mixture, but I was wondering if any of you ever made those type of creme. 
They are very popular in Europe. In Poland nobody makes frosting from just butter sugar and vanilla.  They make this complicated blob, or beat eggs on steam, cool them, then add butter, but that never worked for me either.  My German mom-in-law makes a creme from sweet vanilla pudding and butter.  The pudding also needs to be cooked, so I had a problem with it as well, but it did not matter since the creme went under a chocolate cover and nobody saw it.  The cake was still delicious.

Signature