Parbaking bread
Posted: 28 February 2010 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-28

I’m new to the forum and am delighted to find this online community of bakers! I’ve been a long time bread baker and have had great success freezing already baked breads and reheating.  However, I’ve recently gotten very interested in trying to parbake the bread much like the large bakeries do before sending to restaurants for final baking. Has anyone here tried parbaking before? Any tips on how long to bake initially, cooling and freezing tips and final baking times? I thought I’d ask first before I dive into a full blown experimental mode.  My freezer’s pretty full as it is, so any help would be appreciated!

Posted: 01 March 2010 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  682
Joined  2008-01-24

Welcome Buggrrl,
I confess I haven’t tried this because I always pursue the shortest route from flour to stomach. I think some of the others will have suggestions. Please keep us apprised of you progress.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 01 March 2010 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Welcome to the forum! Here’s a previous thread with some useful info:
http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/572/#4759

Posted: 01 March 2010 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

Thanks for the link. There’s some good information there I think.  From what I can gather, I need to bake the bread until 80% done and then use a blast freezer to freeze it, then bake frozen loaf until done.  Since I don’t have a blast freezer at home I’ll just have to experiment with my deep freezer.  Also, it looks like I’ll need to do some manipulation of time and temperature for final bake. I’ll post my results.  Also, I realized (too late!) that I should have posted my query in the ‘Bread Q&A forum’ but was so excited about finding the site that I didn’t explore the site fully before posting. Thanks again!

Posted: 01 March 2010 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  323
Joined  2008-03-19

I have never par-baked with a loaf of bread (not on purpose, anyway smile), but Peter Reinhart gives directions for a par-baked pizza shell in his book “American Pie.” It is one of the recipes on my to-do list.

Posted: 01 March 2010 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  404
Joined  2009-10-14

I have tasted some commercial par baked rolls and certainly would never buy them again.
I found the product very inferior - taste and texture - compared to the real thing.
Maybe bread is different?

Posted: 01 March 2010 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-02-28

Parbaking pizza dough seems like a great idea. It would freeze and thaw quickly I imagine. 

As for the previous post, I most certainly agree that fresh baked bread is best and frozen baked bread is pretty darn good. I just am interested to see if I can approach the benefits of a fresh loaf in something quicker and doable on a weekday evening. Saturday is usually the only day I have for baking bread, but would love a great loaf on Wednesday too!  tongue wink Rose’s hearth bread is the recipe I think I’ll tackle with this project as it always comes out great and goes well with everything.

Posted: 02 March 2010 07:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4698
Joined  2008-04-16

Rose’s pizza crust might lend itself to parbaking, as it is baked partially, then topped, then baked again.  I haven’t tried freezing it between the first and second baking periods, but if you try it, please let us know how it works out!

Posted: 02 March 2010 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2007-11-15

Do you really think it is worth part-baking pizza dough?  What I do is make enough dough for two large thin pizzas, I bake one and put the rest of the dough in the freezer unbaked.  It is in a ball shape, not rolled out, and when I want to use it I take it out of the freezer a couple of hours before I need it and then use the dough as though I had just made it.  Of course if you wanted it to defrost quicker you could form it into a thin crust before freezing it but then it is more fragile in the freezer IMO. As my pizzas take about 7-8 minutes to bake from ‘raw’ I hardly see the point in part-baking them before freezing!