Doubling a Recipe and Switching from Round to Rectangular Pans
Posted: 11 February 2008 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-02-11

Hello bakers,

I’m baking a birthday cake tonight to serve about 25 and I’d like to double Rose’s All American Chocolate butter cake.  I’d like to bake in one (split the layers) or two rectangular pans to make a double-layer rectangular cake. 

I need help figuring out

1) whether to use one or two pans, (i havent bought them yet, but would like to buy a more standard size)
2) how long to bake

Thanks you!

anna

Posted: 11 February 2008 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

All the info you need is in the cake bible - happy baking!

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 11 February 2008 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11

Hi Patrincia—i have the book but did not find any reference to rectangular pans anywhere…..I decided to double the recipe and use 9.5 and 7” springforms stacked.

if you know where in the book it is, i’d love to know for future reference.

thanks,
anna

Posted: 12 February 2008 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

Hi Ana, it took me a while to find it again but I did.  Look at page 456.  There is the information to determine volume in the square pans.  I have simply increased the ingredients by 33%.  Dede Wilson recomends 25%.  I have done both and they work well.  I like increaseing it by 33% as I get more height and I tend to use more layers in my tiers.  Hope this helps solve your problem!!

Happy Baking.

Posted: 12 February 2008 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

Thanks a bunch Rose V - you just saved me from having to page through the book looking for the chart… (the index isn’t helpful in these situations).

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 12 February 2008 05:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2008-01-09

You’re wlecome, and I know what you mean about the index.  I marked that specific one so I can easily go back now.

Posted: 12 February 2008 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

I sat down one day paged through the entire cake bible and listed the page numbers of all the “charts”, but I can’t seem to find it… too many extra notes shoved into my copy smile.

Anna K - so how did your cake turn out?  Did you cover it with buttercream?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

Posted: 13 February 2008 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-02-11

Hello Ladies, thanks so much for the help and the reference! 

I had to get it done Monday pm. so I ended up doubling the cake recipe and using 9.5 and 7” cake springforms.  I filled them just slightly more than 1/2 full and had extra batter to make about 6 cupcakes.  I wrapped the pans with homemade magic strips and they took 40-45 minutes to bake. 

I split the layers and put a not-too-sweet fudge filling (from Rosie’s Bakery Baking book) inside.  I also made a coffee buttercream (just one recipe) from Rose’s book and put a thin layer between the layers, then frosted the whole thing with it.  I didnt pipe at all, just used an offset to smooth out and I decorated with Sharffenberger cocoa nibs.  I must say, i was very happy with how it looked.

Also, this is the best tasting cake I ever made!  Everyone loved it—particularly because it was not too sweet.  I will make this again for sure.

Thank you!

Anna