1 of 3
Buttercream
Posted: 03 March 2010 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

I have never made buttercream icing, I just don’t like it.  I suppose it’s because the only buttercream I’ve ever had has come on bakery cakes, ugh.  I took the plunge and made 1/2 batch from the Cake Bible yesterday, the Neoclassic. Very easy to make, it looked lovely in the bowl, nice consistency.  My butter temperature was a perfect 69 degrees.

I gave my husband the first taste spoon, and only told him it was a frosting I was testing, would he taste it.  He immediately curled his lip in distaste.  I asked what was wrong, he said it was just like eating sweetened butter, very greasy tasting and feeling in the mouth.  He didn’t like it at all.  So I tasted it, and I have to wholeheartedly agree, I found it very greasy, it was just very sweet, crearmy textured butter.  I must be spoiled from years of eating cakes frosted with real whipped cream, but there is no way I could ever make buttercream or eat it again. I was so sure Rose’s recipe would be a winner, but no thanks to buttercream. I wouldn’t even consider trying anyone else’s recipe, they look even worse to me ‘on paper’. 

I won’t even consider making a mousseline frosting, I don’t like anything made with egg whites, no meringue, marshmallow, etc.

Is it me and my personal taste, or did I do something wrong?

Posted: 03 March 2010 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Can’t say if you did anything wrong, Mrs. M. I doubt it. One point, though, is that many people can’t abide buttercreams made in the classic (or neo-classic) French style, and they often think that the problem is the butter. On closer investigation, however, their reaction is to the egg! A yolk-based bc has that eggy taste and mouthfeel which, in combination with the butter, is just wrong to some people’s palettes. Personal taste, as you say.

I won’t twist your arm about trying the mousseline buttercream, except maybe just a little???  tongue wink In my experience, the lighter meringue-based buttercreams are the way to go in situations like yours. I’ve had people turn around completely on whether they like buttercreams after one taste of mbc. They say, “Now THAT’S better. The other was far too rich - way too much butter.” I smile sweetly and say, “I’m so glad you like it.”

Posted: 03 March 2010 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

We did a small test (two tasters) with neoclassic buttercream and mousseline. The mousseline won hands down because it had a less buttery feel in the mouth. As you say, Carolita, this is personal taste, but our tasters favored mousseline over buttercream. We did this for our wedding cake project. Two hundred and forty cupcakes were frosted with mousseline and received with great compliments by the guests. Mrs. M., I hope you give mousseline a chance.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi!

Just wanted to share my experience, I had never tried buttercreams, but decided to try a swiss meringue buttercream for a red velvet cake, the recipe is from Amy’s Breads, a bakery in NYC, and now in her book.
I have to say that it was absolutely delicious- I made a test run, then made my co-workers cake and cupcakes- everyone kept saying how professional and delicious it tasted. And I agreed. Other buttercreams I’ve had are very thick and greasy, but I have to say that mine was just perfect for my taste, not too sweet or greasy, and I think the recipe is a keeper.
-best
M

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Did u use unsalted butter?  Or regular?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

if the question is meant for me, I used unsalted butter.

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I think there are definitely egg-yolk people and egg-white people.  Egg-yolk people are going to like classic, and egg-white people are going to like mousseline.  My favorite bc is the silk meringue (I guess I’m an egg-yolk and milk person).

I sort of agree with Mrs. M, in that I prefer yolks to whites and whipped cream to buttercream.  I do still use buttercreams, though. 

Mrs. M, did you taste the bc with flavoring added?  Or by itself?  Any buttercream without flavoring (puree, liqueur, chocolate, etc.) added doesn’t taste good to most people.  Also, you have to use a thin layer, it tastes much better thinly layered on cake than from the spoon.  And as Patrincia says, use unsalted butter.  I definitely believe that adding liqueur or acid- fruit puree, espresso or lemon juice, improves butterceams. 

I did enjoy a Cake Bible classic bc I made a while back.  I whipped the butter until pale, at least five minutes.  Then made the lemon variation, with the fresh lemon juice.  Used it on TCB buttermilk cupcakes, it was perfect.  No whipped cream would have been as good.  Because of the extra whipping (and also because it was served at warm room temp), it tasted like a fresh lemon mousse.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 March 2010 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

Unsalted.  I usually use unsalted unless salted is specifically called for.  You MAY have twisted my arm to try the mousseline, but I may not taste it, LOL.  I will have to rely on others to tell me if it’s good or not. to their liking.  : ) 

Also, I added 1 teaspoon vanilla to the finished BC, then we tasted it. I did not taste it before the vanilla was added.  It probably would have been improved with the addition of another stronger flavor.

Thanks for your replies.

Posted: 03 March 2010 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Mrs M, the 1st time I made mousseline I only flavor it with vanilla and use it to frost chocolate cake. I didn’t like the mousseline at all, it just taste plain like butter. In addition, I choose the wrong pairing with chocolate cake (I don’t remember which chocolate cake it was but it’s from TCB). The next time I made it I added liqour and raspberry sauce and the taste signicantly improved! And I never looked back since then cheese. I have made mousseline several times since then, the latest one with lemon curd (totally recommended). Another buttercream I have tried is the egg-white chocolate buttercream from RHC - it’s also very good. I’ve also never tried the egg yolk based buttercream - I am not sure I will since I like mousseline so much. So please try it again smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 03 March 2010 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

My mother would never eat buttercream, until she tried the mousseline.  She agreed that it was delicious and unlike any buttercream she ever ate.

Posted: 03 March 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

And if you are nervous about trying the mousseline because of the difficulty of making the Italian meringue (sugar syrup into egg whites), you could just try a small batch of a Swiss meringue buttercream. No recipes in Rose’s books, so far as I recall, but there are lots of good ones out there on the Web or in other cookbooks. Easier to make (especially as a small batch) and you would find out if you and your family liked the egg-white foam buttercreams or not.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara

Posted: 03 March 2010 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

I don’t use the mousseline or the neoclassic buttercreams without flavouring them.  The neoclassic buttercream is sensational with melted dark chocolate.  The mousseline buttercream tastes divine flavoured with fruit preserves/conserves or best quality white chocolate.  I haven’t tried the silk meringue buttercream yet, but I have read on the posts that the caramel smbc is to die for.  I think too, that they taste quite buttery without any flavouring.  The great thing about Rose’s buttercreams is that they will accomodate a wide range of flavourings.  Only your imagination is the limit.  Plus they are very smooth, not gritty.  Personally if I had to choose between eating a stick of butter or a stick of shortening, I’d eat the butter.  grin 

Unsalted Butter Ingredients - Cream

Shortening Ingredients - Soybean Oil,  Hydrogenated palm and soybean oils, mono and diglycerides, TBHQ (don’t even know what that is!!!) and citic acid.

Posted: 03 March 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
MrsM - 03 March 2010 03:32 PM

I found it very greasy, it was just very sweet, crearmy textured butter.

The first buttercream I made tasted that way, but I think the main problem was that I had disobeyed instructions and dumped the sugar syrup directly onto the mixer beater, which slung a good bit of it onto the sides of the bowl.  It never got incorporated into the buttercream.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 03 March 2010 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1152
Joined  2009-11-24

The buttercream is the one thing I have been doing from TCB for years. 

I love, just love, love, love the Mousseline Buttercream.  Most often, vanilla is the only flavoring I add.  Sometimes a lemon curd or fruit preserve which makes it even better.  And, to those with whom I have shared it…. it is delicious.  I’ve also made the Silk Meringue BC from RHC for the coconut cake and rec’d rave reviews.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 04 March 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

I’ve been making the mousseline from TCB for years and find that I don’t particularly like it if I taste it right after it is made. Too greasy. If I let it sit for an hour or so, the taste and buttery feel seem to change for me. Now it is the only buttercream I use.

Posted: 04 March 2010 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-16

I don’t want to make the mousseline because I don’t like anything made with egg whites - marshmallow, meringue.  I am afraid it will be the texture/taste I definitely don’t want, like meringue or marshmallow.  I have made meringue many times, I’, not afraid to do that at all. It’s the taste/texture thing I want to avoid.

1 of 3