3 of 3
Buttercream
Posted: 23 April 2010 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Lemon curd? Of course! It needs the egg yolks! (Needless to say I’m an egg yolk addict…)

I was working off the mousseline recipe in RHC for Miette’s Tomboy, which only had vanilla as a flavoring. I thought that wasn’t enough so I put the zest in. I used it to fill (my pitiful attempts of) macarons. The end product tastes great, though…

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 23 April 2010 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1092
Joined  2009-05-26

I agree that flavoring is different between the neoclassic and mousseline. I think b/c the neoclassic has much more flavor so it doesn’t need much additional flavoring, whereas mousseline is lighter by itself.
I love the lemon curd mousseline too, so Silke maybe you should try that one next time if you want to give mousseline a 2nd chance.
Everyone is different as you said. The neoclassic is a little too rich for me, I like it but I can only have very small quantity (which is probably better in the long run for my waist line haha).

Last week I made yellow butter cupcakes with orange flower neoclassic and it is soooo good!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 April 2010 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

Agree, I always flavor mousseline—-most often raspberry. I think neoclassic is better if you want something plain. I can’t remember which recipe it is now, but one of the mousseline recipes in RHC has much less butter than the original because Rose followed the practice at that bakery, so I guess double check to make sure you are using the traditional mousseline.

Posted: 23 April 2010 04:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1196
Joined  2009-11-24

So far, I have only flavored my mousselline with raspberry puree or lemon curd to fill a cake. Otherwise, I just add vanilla.  I wonder what those folks would do if they tasted as mousseline with other flavor.  They already think the mousseline is delicious!  They might not be able to contain themselves!! LOL

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 23 April 2010 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Looks like I’m becoming quite the buttercream tester. I was cleaning our my freezer and found a lot of egg whites, so I looked in RHC and found the white velvet butter cupcakes and the chocolate egg-white buttercream. Sounded like the perfect match for my ingredients, and for high altitude baking. I flavored the cupcakes with mint and the chocolate that I had on hand had some chili in it. I had problems with the amount of batter - weighed 50g for each cupcake, but they overflowed the pan, the only one that came out perfect was the one that I made with the 30 g that were leftover. 3 of them self-destructed while I got them out of the pan. Oh well.

However - that chocolate egg-white buttercream came out wonderful! And together - heaven!

Image Attachments
P1000776.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2010 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4823
Joined  2008-04-16

Silke, what a lovely cupcake!  Glad to hear you liked the chocolate-egg white bc, I’ve yet to try that one (always seem to head for ganache when chocolate is in order). 

What did you use to pipe with?  Your swirl looks very three-dimensional yet doesn’t look like too much frosting (which is easy to do with cupcake swirls).

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or less) Sour - Part II

Posted: 27 April 2010 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Thanks Julie! I loved the buttercream. And I fed them to quite a few people, and everybody commented on how great the “mousse” was. Very light, very creamy (obviously, with a pound of butter in it), and positively yummy.

The tip was a large closed star tip. No idea which one, and I’m not near it (I’m in my construction zone waiting for appliances to be delivered and watching the countertop to be put on…). I was surprised how easy it was to make it look nice, and yes, it wasn’t too much frosting.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1077
Joined  2007-11-15

I like this one too, although it has been a couple of years since I made it—perfect for cupcakes!

Posted: 26 August 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2008-02-28

I just made the caramel silk meringue buttercream and, while it was okay, I have to admit I found it a little bland.  I did bring the caramel to a dark amber and so on, so it wasn’t that the caramel didn’t have depth; more that I thought it would have benefitted from touch of salt. 

I also tried the apricot version of the SMBC and thought that the fruity flavour didn’t come through as purely and cleanly as when I do the fruit mousselines (which I LOVE). 

Yes, it IS interesting how different everyone’s tastes are.

Also, in terms of detailed piping, the SMBC in the piping bags got “slouchy” much quicker than the mousseline did, even though I was using cold packs and alternating bags, etc.

Has anyone tried adding salted caramel made with cream, to mousseline?

Posted: 20 September 2011 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2008-08-13

Ooh salted caramel in mousseline! That sounds wonderful, I have to give it a shot soon.

Whenever I make mousseline (and I make it often), I cut down some on the butter. For 3 egg whites, I use only 250g butter. Mainly because that’s how most of the butter here is sold and I’m too lazy to cut up another block of butter to get the full amount. It reduces the greasy mouthfeel/taste that some folks are not happy about, but it’s still rich enough.

3 of 3