Quick pie question
Posted: 04 March 2010 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-04

I just have a quick question regarding pies.  I have baked numerous pies in my life, but always prepare them the day of.

I am wanting to make a chocolate cream, banana cream, and coconut cream pie, for this sunday.  I was thinking of making them on saturday, for sunday’s dinner.

Now my question.  Will the crusts get soggy if filled the night before?  Since these are all cream pies, the crust is “blind baked”, but i was unsure if they will get soggy over night..  If so i would just bake the crusts sat, and fill sunday.

Thanks for any help-

Posted: 04 March 2010 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

Brush the blind-baked shell with melted white chocolate or dark chocolate. This will insulate it against the moisture from the cream fillings. You could also prepare the filling ahead of time and fill the already-baked shell shortly before serving.

Posted: 04 March 2010 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-04

I figured if i prepared the filling ahead of time, and it cooled, it would be hard to get it to “work well” in the pie crust, as it will have set to the shape of the container it was cooled in?

I may just prepare the crusts saturday, and get up early sunday, and do the fillings.. That will give them a few hours to set.

Posted: 06 March 2010 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-04

So would i be better off just getting the dough ready today, and refrigerating it untill tomorrow, then baking it tomorrow?

Secondly, can someone tell me if i do make the cream fillings today, how to store them untill tomorrow?  Wont they hold the shape of the container they are “set” in?

Any help is appreciated, as i need to make a decision ASAP.

Posted: 06 March 2010 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  500
Joined  2007-11-24

I agree that brushing with white or dark chocolate is a great idea. I made a tart with a pastry cream filling recently, and brushed the crust with white chocolate before filling. That crust stayed crisp for days! I was impressed.

As far as your question about filling—it depends on the recipe. Usually you can stir or whisk the filling to loosen it up, then fill the crust and chill again for a few hours to re-set the filling. It may end up a little softer and fluffier.

Signature 

Please visit my blog:
Bungalow Barbara