Grand Marnier Wedding Cake ??
Posted: 05 March 2010 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2009-03-07

Hi everyone,

I’m going to attempt the GMWC this weekend. Actually a smaller 6in. version and had a fcouple questions.

1.  I remember someone (Matthew???) posting that the breakdown of the wedding cake recipe for 6 in.  and 9 in. cake is 30%/70%. So I can use the first batter recipe X 0.3 to make the batter for a double layer 6 in. cake. Is that correct?  Just want to make sure my proportion is correct.

2. For the GM syrup, can I use Seville oranges to get the juice or will that be too tart? I still have the Seville oranges to use and was wondering if I could use them to make this cake. If all Seville oranges is not good, maybe 1/2 Sevile, 1/2 Navel?

Thank you for your input.

~Susan

Posted: 05 March 2010 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Hi Susan,

Yes, the math is right. 6*6 / (6*6 + 9*9) = 36 / 117 = 0.31. Close enough.

For the ganache I’d make a bit more than 30% because you have a little more surface area on the small cakes.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 05 March 2010 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Belasuna, I made a 6” GM cake for the top layer of my birthday cake in January (part of that month’s bake-off). It was Rose who mentioned on the blog that the recipe p 404 RHC could be divided 30% for the 6” and 70% for the 9”. The conversion factor for 30% is 0.33 rather than 0.3. The extra decimal point does make a difference.

Agree with Silke that it’s a good idea to make a little extra ganache - at least half the recipe p 408 RHC. You may have some left over, but better too much than too little.

Don’t see any reason why the Seville orange juice wouldn’t work. Try it and see what you think before brushing it on the cake layers. If it seems too bitter, add sugar to taste.

Posted: 05 March 2010 05:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1076
Joined  2007-11-15

You probably remembered this thread belasuna:

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1820

Carolita, you mean the conversion for a third is .33 right, 30% is .30, not that it would really make a great difference. I mentioned doing a third as well in the other thread.

Posted: 05 March 2010 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

I will definitely make 1/2 the ganache since I also want to pipe the little dots—couldn’t get the les perles :(  I also bought a few valencia oranges so I will do half seville and half valencia. I’m so excited…

Matthew, that was the thread I was remembering.

Thanks everyone.

Posted: 05 March 2010 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  865
Joined  2008-03-09

Correct, Matthew. And actually, now that I look at my records more closely, I made three layers for the top tier of my birthday cake, so I ended up adding 60% of 30% because the third pan was a 7”. Then I trimmed all three down to 5” diameter. If that doesn’t confuse you, nothing will!!!  LOL

Posted: 05 March 2010 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  535
Joined  2008-05-03

Belasuna, I made the top two layers of GM cake for the March bake-off.  I think it would be superb to use Seville oranges for the syrup as you will get a lot more intensity.  I just made the True Orange Genoise yesterday and Rose gives the sugar quantities to use for Seville Oranges and regular orange juice substitition so you might want to check that out so you will get the sugar correct.  You will love this cake!

Posted: 05 March 2010 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Belasuna, good choice!  http://myyellowkitchen.wordpress.com/2009/11/28/grand-01-marnier-wedding-cake-page-403/

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 March 2010 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

Thanks everyone for your help.  Here is my final product below.  I didn’t have the Les Perles so I hand piped them. I don’t have training so it was a little rough going, but they came out rather cute. I didn’t have the proper sized tip to make the little chocolate perles, so my hand kept cramping because I was squeezing so hard just to get a decent sized pearl.  smile

I also made Woody’s Luxury Lemon Cake. I have to say I prefer the lemon to the Grand Marnier. The Orange syrup for the Grand Marnier was divine. I wanted to drink the entire thing. And while I thought the Grand Marnier cake was very good and very moist, I just couldnt get beyond the orange flavor of the cake. Funny, I liked the orange syrup by itself, but not the orange flavor in the cake.

For Lemon Luxury, I made the curd with 2 whole eggs and 2 yolks instead of all yolks (cholesterol concsious) which is why the cake is not as yellow as the one in RHC. THe curd came out a lovely soft, pale yellow. It was so yummy, tart and sweet and thick. I made extra to have on toast. I think this is my favorite cake from RHC.

Image Attachments
P1000537.jpgP1000530.jpg

Posted: 07 March 2010 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24

Belsuna,

The Grand Marnier cakes looks really good.  The piping looks great also.  The Lemon Luxury cake looks good also..but since I know it has white chocolate, I enjoy it less.  I, personally, do not like white chocolate.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 07 March 2010 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  769
Joined  2007-11-15

I think both your cakes look lovely, I only hope I can make as good a job of one I have planned for the end of this month.  The cakes are made and in the freezer just waiting for the part I get nervous about, the decorating!  Wish me luck! rolleyes

Posted: 07 March 2010 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

Belsuna,
Beautiful cakes. And since I like both white chocolate (in cakes only, can’t stand it by itself) and oranges (in any form) I’m salivating right now!

Jeanette,
How fast will you have your new kitchen??? We’re also ripping out a wall, so if we can do it in anything less that 6 weeks it would be a miracle…

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 07 March 2010 06:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-03-07

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I ate another slice of the Grand Marnier today and I have to say it is even better the 2nd day. I made the cake layers on Friday and syruped them, let them set overnight like the instructions said. Finished the cake on Saturday and had my first slice later that evening. I guess the true flavors finally came through today though because it was delicious. So maybe I spoke to soon about preferring the Lemon Luxury

Posted: 07 March 2010 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1180
Joined  2009-11-24
belasuna - 07 March 2010 10:43 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

I ate another slice of the Grand Marnier today and I have to say it is even better the 2nd day. I made the cake layers on Friday and syruped them, let them set overnight like the instructions said. Finished the cake on Saturday and had my first slice later that evening. I guess the true flavors finally came through today though because it was delicious. So maybe I spoke to soon about preferring the Lemon Luxury

and perhaps I will one day give the lemon luxury a try since Silke mentioned its okay in cakes.

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.