Why bread turns dry and stale the next day?
Posted: 08 March 2010 02:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-03-08

I love bread making very much!  But I have this problem of my homemade bread turning dry and stale the next day.  :(  The bread tasted very good on the very day when out of the oven.  Any tips and pointers?  I had the same problem with bread machine bread too. 

Appreciate if anyone can share their experiences.

Thanks!

Posted: 08 March 2010 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2008-01-24

Gosh there are a lot of unknown to this questions. I have never had any bread spoil so quickly. What recipe are you using? How are you storing the bread? What is the humidity of your kitchen? How fresh is the flour you are using?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 08 March 2010 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

mad abt bread, my practice is to eat it same day, or freeze it as soon as it is cool.  Well-wrapped, freshly baked bread will freeze well, to defrost, just set it on the counter, still wrapped, then re-warm (unwrapped) for 5-10 minutes in the oven.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 08 March 2010 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08

Oh, I don’t mean bread turning bad entirely, but then it somehow becomes dry and smells yeasty.  It is unlike store bought breads that can stay soft for few days…. just like Gardenia bread.  Even if I had wrapped it in plastic bags and store in airtight container, most still becomes dry the next day.

Posted: 08 March 2010 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2009-08-25

I like a little rye in my breads, that seems to keep them fresher longer. For my no knead breads I have at least 1/2 cup of rye in the dough for my standard 3 cup bread.

Also, what type of bread are you making? If it’s the no-knead, they are well known to not keep very long, especially the all wheat breads. If I want a white bread that I still like the next day I’ll make a proper kneaded dough. I also let the dough ferment overnight.

Signature 

http://quartercow.blogspot.com

Posted: 08 March 2010 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-03-08

Am I saying something innocent and obvious - So bread made by starter dough stays soft and last longer?  I’ve been making mostly white and light wholemeal sandwich bread (in my Kenwood BM256 bread machine).  Recipes are from my collection of breadmachine books.

Posted: 08 March 2010 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

I wasn’t happy with my bread machine bread at all. Starting with the hole that’s left by the dough hook grin, and it never tasted right, yes, when it was yeasted it had quite a yeasty smell.

Perhaps we have a bread machine expert here?

I’d also suggest you try no-knead breads. Rose has a few recipes here, and there are some on the forum. The no-knead craze got started by an article in the NY Times, so you may want to search their website for it, too. No-knead breads are almost as little work as breadmachine breads, and they taste so much better!

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

I have a bread machine and use it weekly although I do make bread by hand as well.  I am also into sourdough bread now having been given a starter and I really like the taste of it and the satisfaction of making it with my own two hands!

Obviously, bread is going to be better fresh on the day you make it, but I find I can keep my loaves from going mouldy or staling too quickly by wrapping the bread in a clean tea-towel and then over-wrapping in a plastic bag.  I never throw any bread out, which I used to do before using this method because it would go mouldy.  Make sure you DON"T WASH your tea-towel in detergent, just rinse it in hot water to keep it clean, otherwise your bread will pick up the soapy taste. If I have more bread than we can eat in a few days I freeze it, as others have said.

Posted: 09 March 2010 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Silke,

I don’t like the dough hook hole, either. To avoid this, I gingerly remove the ball of dough after the last knead cycle, take out the dough hook, and spray the shaft with Pam. Then I put the dough back in the pan and let it finish. The shaft is not non-stick, like the pan is, so it is necessary to spray or oil it. I bake bread to an internal temperature of 210 deg. F. I love the NYT no-knead recipe!

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 09 March 2010 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-25

Kathleen - that sounds better already… Though in the end I find it easier to bake in the oven, one less appliance to have around the kitchen, and I enjoy every part of the baking, except perhaps cleaning up after making rye bread…

Jeannette - sourdough is the magic cure against bread turning stale quickly, though I didn’t tinker with the bread machine long enough to figure out whether it can be used there. Seems like you’re making the sourdough as a regular bread and not a bread machine bread?  - How is the kitchen coming along?

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2010 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  780
Joined  2007-11-15

Silke, I make bread in the bread machine once or twice a week, not for myself but for my husband, who likes toast and marmalade for breakfast and he likes this bread as it slices well for the toaster!  I usually make a wholemeal loaf for him although, by choice,  he’d rather have white!  I like to keep him healthy!!!
I like sourdough since I started making it last September.  I was lucky enough to visit one of our forum members in Scotland, AnnieMcD, who very kindly gave me some of her starter, and supported me with my attempts at making the bread, I’m still not fully confident but I have enjoyed every loaf I’ve made so far and some of them have been really good.  I’m getting there!

As for my kitchen, the units are being delivered tomorrow but we are waiting for our joiner to give us a date when he will start on the work.  He is a very good tradesman and well worth waiting for!  I said I wouldn’t have a new kitchen if he couldn’t do it for us, he’s that good.  As Easter is approaching and my family will be visiting over that weekend I am not in a great hurry for it to be done, I would rather have it done when there are no visitors around! LOL

Posted: 09 March 2010 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  313
Joined  2009-07-24

Silke, I make soudough bread in my bread machine. I knead it in the Kitchen Aid with the dough hook, then put it in the bread machine to rise for 24 hours (depending on the warmth of the kitchen). I can set the bread machine for “bake” only, so when it has risen enough, I set it to bake for 60 minutes. Perfect bread every time.

Signature 

Please visit me at http://cookinginmexico.com/ for recipes and photos

Posted: 09 March 2010 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

@ Silke - so do you make the no-knead bread using whole wheat flour?

We just started eating whole grain - for health - and I’ve been trying the whole wheat hearth bread from Peter Reinhart’s Whole Grain bread book. It’s not bad, but I don’t like that it’s too dense (no holes) and the crust is a bit tough. Plus the recipe is a bit complicated, it requires you to make a soaker and a biga the night before - and the day of baking, requires kneading the bread until it passes the window pane test. I usually give up after 4 minutes of kneading smile. Whole wheat bread dough is tougher and harder to knead than regular white flour!

I want to try other recipes but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of 100% whole wheat bread recipe out there.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/